This sickens me....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
So, I was scrolling on Craigslist trying to find some larger tanks for my geckos and maybe some tank decor for the beardies, and this listing showed up. Typically I don't post about Craigslist but this one could not go about ignored.

The listing showed up saying "2 male 1 yr old bearded dragons" and the photos were awful. The poor baby on the right has extremely severe MBD and malnourishment.
View media item 60849View media item 60551View media item 60910View media item 60620
You can tell in the photos so many red flags, Cohabitation, both male, the one on the right has exceedingly severe MBD, the other one is obviously dominating over The smaller one, getting the best food and heat while the other one gets the scraps, Sand, No UVB at all! No heat bulb either (just a typical light bulb it looks like). :angry5:

People really need to actually do some research before getting these animals so they can actually care for them well and prevent this. :x

These poor dragons need a proper home.
I wish I was able to take in more dragons but I doubt I could, especially at that price. I just don't have the space or money and it pains me to see dragons like this. :(
I feel so sorry for these poor dragons. :(

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Aww. Yes it is sad to see these wonderful little creatures so poorly looked after. If you post the craigslist city, maybe somebody close has room to care for them. At the very least, maybe reach out to the poster and try to convince them to either do what's right or surrender them to a shelter. :(

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What also irks me is the dumb term "rehoming fee" I see it in my area too it makes no sense. What fees do you incur from giving someone a pet? None! Semantics I know but just say you're selling them for 150...

Unfortunately craigslist is full of all types of pets like this.

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
This is the kind of thing that gets me fired up and motivated. One of these days I will have a shelter and be able to take these guys in, rehab them, and find them a good home.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
CooperDragon":1859hwb9 said:
This is the kind of thing that gets me fired up and motivated. One of these days I will have a shelter and be able to take these guys in, rehab them, and find them a good home.
That would be awesome! I hope you're able to do that one day. I'll be a supporter!

-Brandon

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Aaradimian":1zkkalg3 said:
Aww. Yes it is sad to see these wonderful little creatures so poorly looked after. If you post the craigslist city, maybe somebody close has room to care for them. At the very least, maybe reach out to the poster and try to convince them to either do what's right or surrender them to a shelter. :(
Yeah, It's worth a shot to try and direct them to the pretty good reptile rescue I know pretty well (it's where I rescued Ruby), and they're not too far from the area I believe.
But my fear is that they really don't care about the dragons and are just trying to make a quick buck unfortunately. :x

Also the listing area is In charlotte NC I believe, closer to SC though. So about a good 1-2 hour drive there for us.
claudiusx":1zkkalg3 said:
What also irks me is the dumb term "rehoming fee" I see it in my area too it makes no sense. What fees do you incur from giving someone a pet? None! Semantics I know but just say you're selling them for 150...

Unfortunately craigslist is full of all types of pets like this.

-Brandon
Finally someone else who agrees! I also have hated that term "rehoming fee" for the same reasons. In my opinion if you're rehoming an animal then it should be free, Just getting them a new home you know? If you're asking for a price then you're selling it, I know the situations can differ and in some cases I find it acceptable, but typically it's just stupid.

But there's a thing with Craigslist, From what I've seen, people call things "rehoming fees" in hopes of not getting flagged down by the people who will flag anyone that is selling an animal, so they hide behind it calling it a rehoming fee. When in reality they're just selling it, trying to get a quick buck. I may be wrong but that's just my observations.
CooperDragon":1zkkalg3 said:
Same here, it pains me to see dragons (and other reptiles) like that. Honestly starting a reptile rescue would be my dream job. Kinda be like Sarah's bearded dragon rescue, because there really needs to be more rescues like hers.
claudiusx":1zkkalg3 said:
CooperDragon":1zkkalg3 said:
That would be awesome! I hope you're able to do that one day. I'll be a supporter!

-Brandon
Me as well! :blob5:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
On a lighter note of things, this is probably one of the funniest posts for a reptile tank I've ever seen. :lol: :lol: :lol:
View media item 60389

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Aaradimian":ztm84nam said:
I don't have a snake, but I'd buy the tank just because of the ad! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Same! :lol: it wouldn't work for my ball python but it'd work great for my gecko, if only it was cheaper, and if only I had an owl to contact them with! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom