I just rescued two bearded dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilyturtle21

Hi my name isn’t important but my brand new rescued dragons are called shenron and clever girl. A boy and a girl. So here’s the thing I rescued them from a teenage kid who just went to juvenile detention and will later be sent to prison. His brother basically left them on my porch. I have been looking at them worried for a while when I came over. I have no freakin clue how to take care of or feed or anything at all. I didn’t even know they need heat until yesturday. I just figured they like cuddling me cuz I give them crickets. (The only thing I do know is they like crickets and blue berries.) anyway back to the problems. Glass fish tank bottom is cracked to poopies but still intact I’m not moving it. It already cracked more when I brought them inside. I just Don’t want to risk it. Need a new tank. The boy is either sick or an albino ? I have no idea. The only reason I know it’s a boy is the girl just payed eggs?? Oh and The girl just payed eggs. Actual freakin eggs. They’re squishy??! Soooo SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
OK …. good on ya for taking these dragons in.

Can you
1) take photos of each of them so we can see how big they are and if they have any issues .
2) weigh each of them .
3) show how their tank is set up
4) subtrate ?
5) Lights setup review
5a) check the lights and tell us what lighting (if any) they have had …. VERY STRONGLY suggest ditching the existing UV globe or tube and replacing with 26W UVB200 (10%UVB) if using a compact UVB, or a T5HO 12% UVB in a reflector hood , and moving the UV source UNDER the lid.

This is because you do now know how old the UV source is. Best to start off with brand-new globes or tubes.
If a 26W UVB200, no more than 8" from the basking spot/s.
If a T5ho 12%UVB , about 12" from the basking spot/s.

5b) basking globe - what is it ?
basking spot temperature during the day
warm zone temperature during the day
cool zone temperature during the day
overnight tank temperature

see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

5c) how long are the lights on each day ?

I VERY STRONGLY suggest you house them separately starting right now.
If under 12 months old - (as soon as you can either set up a couple of modified 100L to 150L storage tubs (with clipon lids) , this is how I set my rearing tubs (100L) that I stack so the occupants only see each other when one is out of it's tub.
Will do temporarily to house an adult in each tank (go for 150L tubs) until you can build a plywood or Melamine (laminate covered MDF) tank for each, consider stacking the tanks on top each other - with the girl in the bottom tank.
Temporary tanks : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480

Adults - they each need tanks at least 4ft x 2ft at least 18" tall.

I highly recommend sending the old tank (less the light fittings & hide and log) to the tip …. it's dangerous if glass and cracked (to everyone including you, your kids, your visitors and the reptiles living inside it) .
I'd suggest putting the two dragons into tubs (see above) , taping the glass sheets with cloth tape then and then breaking the old glass tank up and wrapping in the broken sheets of glass in an old bedsheet before sending to the tip.

food
Insects : number of times per day depends on how old they are. Choose from
BSFL
Silkworms
crickets
roaches
locusts

I give my adults 1 small feed of live insects (crickets + silkworms) per day + offer salad,
refer to viewtopic.php?f=76&t=234999&p=1807834#p1807834
veg : choose from http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Adults , this is the best guide I've seen : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236074

Crash course on bearded dragon care - detailed , highly recommend this book Philippe de Vosjoli's The Bearded Dragon Manual
https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-au/books/philippe-de-vosjoli/the-bearded-dragon-manual-herpetocultural-library/GOR001546764?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5_P8s_vu3QIVAWoqCh01HA4HEAQYAyABEgJUPvD_BwE
and A Guide to Australian Dragons in Captivity by-Dr.Danny Brown
https://www.dymocks.com.au/book/a-guide-to-australian-dragons-in-captivity-by-danny-brown-9780975820056/?utm_source=googleps&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5_P8s_vu3QIVAWoqCh01HA4HEAQYESABEgK2LvD_BwE#.W7csJjFReHs
and Bearded Dragon Manual
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=bearded+dragon+manual+book&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjN3PSz--7dAhWKU7wKHfCgBkkQ1TUIlwE&biw=1579&bih=973#spd=7527879604829698717&spf=1538731083300

If she's laying a clutch of eggs she will need extra dietary calcium and protein.

Others will advise on how to deal with the eggs depending on if you want to hatch them.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
If you are not able to keep them & give them the care they need, you can always post them on the “For Free” forum on this site. You could also check a rescue group in your area and they will take them, so they can get proper care. Beardies are easy to get attached to. It sounds like they were very neglected. This site is great for answers to your questions. Depending on where you live, someone on this site may be close by and could donate a few things to help them. Large plastic storage containers will work. They love snuggling, you can also cut up a fleece blanket to put in their tubs. Non adhesive shelf liner is cheap to line the tubs.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
When she king of nobbies said salad she meant greens like mustard collard parsley all fresh not actual garden salad---

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi there. Thanks for looking after these two. It's so easy for people to just treat beardies like they're disposable, and it's sad because 1) no living creature should be treated that way, and 2) they're such awesome pets! Since you're new to all this, you'll have a steep learning curve at first & will invariably make mistakes (we all do). The very basics are that they need heat and light, UV, and proper food/water. These are non-negotiable or they will suffer. There are a lot of people on this forum more knowledgeable than I am, but here are some real basics to rough things in while you get more familiar with beardies.

#1 Pet stores usually give bad advice and sell products that can actually hurt them. Sand or shell-based substrates (basically their bedding) and those little dial thermometers, for example. For bedding, paper towels are ok, with reptile carpet or tile being better. Get a probe thermometer to figure out proper temps under the basking area because the dial things are worthless.

#2 Beardies don't get along well with one another, so separate them & don't let them see eachother

#3 Get a basking bulb, which is basically a white light that also puts out heat (don't get red heat lamps). The one I have for mine comes from Petco, is 75W and hangs about 11" from where my beardie basks. Lights on only during the day (they sleep like we do).

#4 The cheapest way to upgrade their viv beyond the tub ideas above is to go on craigslist and find someone selling an aquarium. Adults need at least a 50 gal tank, though that's considered small. Whatever you do though, make sure you thoroughly clean & disinfect anything you get from CL so your beardies don't get sick.

#5 For the UV, just go to Pet<whatever> and get a Reptisun 10.0 tube/fixture. Put it over your beardies' heads and attach it so it hangs on the inside because glass, screens, etc. will block the UV. Also, this bulb will wear out at around 6 months even if it is still producing light, so when you get one, put a sticker on it with the date so you don't forget to change it. No UV will eventually kill a beardie and he/she will suffer horribly in the meantime, even if they don't show it for weeks/months.

#6 For food, they need insects and greens. The greens cost me about $3/wk and another $5 for crickets. Mine gets other insects and supplements (this is very important as you'll learn), but you can get fresh escarole, endive, and a bunch of other greens for cheap at the grocery store.

Last item is for you. You're doing the right thing for these little guys and should be rewarded! Beardies like their humans and will snuggle (as you've seen!), hang out & watch tv with you, even take roadtrips or just ride on your shoulder as you go about your business at home. I never wanted to own a lizard, but have completely fallen in love with the one I have. They're curious, smart, and are always doing funny things, so enjoy them!!! Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom