Just rescued Lucy, any help would be appreciated:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
Hello, I rescued Lucy from a family member who had no time and hadn’t looked at single thing up about bearded dragons. To my knowledge she is a year old maybe a bit older. He had sand in her tank and fed her primarily dried meal worms and occasionally crickets. I know these things are wrong which is why I pushed for a healthier home with me. The lighting he had was also not what it should’ve been. I don’t believe he had a uvb light just the heat lamp.
I went to petsmart two days ago and got a uvb light heat lamp combo and it wasn’t the right watt. I went to another pet store and got a uvb light but have since learned that it’s better to get the set up for it to not be over the screen because the screen makes it harder for uvb lighting to get to her. I believe she also has an Impaction from either the sand or the meal worms. I made a vet appointment for Thursday and plan to drive an hour to a nearby town that has an actual reptile store. I am not expert and I’ve never owned a bearded dragon but I’ve been trying to do as much research as possible. I just want her to have the best life she possibly can have. I’ve really connected with her.
I’ll post a pic of what she came with. I know there needs to be a lot of corrections but any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Here’s a pic of her set up she came with and a couple pictures of her!

https://imgur.com/a/QxdcWIs

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad you were able to get her out of a bad situation. She looks to be generally in good shape which is encouraging. I recommend getting a 22'' T5 UVB light. They can be used with grow light fixtures of the same length. ReptiSun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% tend to be the best options. They look like this http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

I also suggest cleaning out the sand and replacing it with something solid like non adhesive shelf liner. That is much easier to keep clean and sanitary. That will help keep her from getting sick, especially if her system is compromised from poor care.

I would also look for an IR temp gun or a couple of digital thermometers with probes. That will let you check surface temperatures around the tank. You want the surface in the basking area to be between about 100-105 and there should be a gradient down to 75-85 or so on the cool side during the day. That way she can move around and choose what she prefers at a given time.

Given good lighting and a healthy environment she should bounce back under your care. Try getting her into a wide variety of veges (this may take some time and patience). Offer 2-3 items from this list each day http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Just rotate based on what is fresh at the store and eventually you should find some of her favorites.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I can't add much to Cooper's recommendations ….

>> get an Arcadia T5ho 12%UVB tube no more than 2/3 the length of the tank (is a much better T5ho than the Zoo Med , and guaranteed good for at least 12 months).

>> regards diet and feeding schedule , she's an adult, so this is your best guide : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236074
I'd offer some live insects ( see * ) each day …. doesn't need to be many , but enough to keep her fat and protein and amino acid reserves good.

* choose from
Large BSFL
silkworms
crickets
locusts
roaches.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Brittney, You've already been given good advice and I agree that he/she doesn't look bad really. What makes you think impaction ? Large dragons may only poo once a week, some more frequently, some even less. Try soaking her in 2-3" of warm water for 10 minutes, that might get her to poo. You can also give some of the following : baby food squash, sweet potato or prunes, canned pumpkin [ no spices ] applesauce. Add a few drops of olive oil or raw honey to any of those and she should poo in a short time.

You might wait until she poo's, begins to eat and settles in before seeing a vet, she should do well [ hopefully ] with proper care. :)

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2orntn1y said:
Hi Brittney, You've already been given good advice and I agree that he/she doesn't look bad really. What makes you think impaction ? Large dragons may only poo once a week, some more frequently, some even less. Try soaking her in 2-3" of warm water for 10 minutes, that might get her to poo. You can also give some of the following : baby food squash, sweet potato or prunes, canned pumpkin [ no spices ] applesauce. Add a few drops of olive oil or raw honey to any of those and she should poo in a short time.

You might wait until she poo's, begins to eat and settles in before seeing a vet, she should do well [ hopefully ] with proper care. :)

I’ve been trying those things, her previous owner has waited four weeks or more and she didn’t poo. I am extremely worried so I’m taking her to the vet for that reason. :/

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Brittneesmile":2qw5rpbk said:
AHBD":2qw5rpbk said:

I’ve been trying those things, her previous owner has waited four weeks or more and she didn’t poo. I am extremely worried so I’m taking her to the vet for that reason. :/

This will give you a handle , two adult siblings, exactly same diet & husbandry : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=232446

A month between poos is BAD.

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3dixc4kc said:
Brittneesmile":3dixc4kc said:
AHBD":3dixc4kc said:

This will give you a handle , two adult siblings, exactly same diet & husbandry : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=232446

I know it’s bad :/ I have her vet appointment tomorrow morning. I gave her a warm bath tonight and nothing helped. I’m hoping the vet will help.
Thank you!

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":x6ae6l6v said:
Brittneesmile":x6ae6l6v said:
AHBD":x6ae6l6v said:

She finally pooped!!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Brittneesmile":12o3el8q said:
kingofnobbys":12o3el8q said:
Brittneesmile":12o3el8q said:
AHBD":12o3el8q said:

She finally pooped!!!
bet she's frisky now she's got rid of most the poo she's been saving up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom