Adult Rescue beardie not eating veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexela

I work on a beach in Massachusetts and recently found an adult bearded dragon wandering around! She was super friendly and seemed to enjoy being held I figured she was somebody’s pet. I eventually found her owner only to find he was looking to rehome her but had never found the right fit and offered to let me and my boyfriend, who by this time had fallen in love with her, keep her! We’ve had her for less than a week and she seems to be doing well except she doesn’t seem to interested in eating veggies and from the research I’ve done it seems like that should be the bulk of her diet (she’s about 2 years old) I don’t know if it’s related but she’s been laying (unfertilized) eggs recently as well.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad you found her. It's odd that she was wandering loose and her old caregiver was trying to find a new home for her. I wonder if he released her.

If she is laying infertile eggs, make a dig box for her out of a plastic bin filled with damp play sand and organic topsoil mixed to a consistency that can hold a tunnel. This will allow her to dig and hopefully lay all of the eggs successfully.

This may also be affecting her mood and appetite. Offer drips of water on her nose to ensure she is well hydrated. Offer calcium rich foods like collard and turnip greens to help her build back her calcium supply (developing eggs drains calcium). It may take a while for her to get used to a vegetarian diet if she isn't used to it, so be patient and offer as much variety as you can. I like to offer 2-3 items from this list in salads and rotate based on what's fresh at the store http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html She should be on one or two bug meals per week with daily salads. Calcium rich bugs like black soldier fly larvae are a good idea to offer her now. Hornworms might also go over well and they will be hydrating for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom