Craigslist horrors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeSkull

So I’m trying to find a cheap tank on Craigslist because I think my adult bearded dragon, Felix, is too big for his 40gal. No biggie, I couldn’t in a million years convince my parents to buy him some fancy new one so an old one will do as long as I scrub the hell out of it.

But as I searched I found some people who were including their dragons WITH the purchase. Some with healthy lizards that they just couldn’t take care of anymore, and some with some seriously unhealthy looking beardies. One lady put in the description that she only feeds her beardie super worms and another guy had his on a diet of spinach and cilantro. One other person is selling two bearded dragons that live together in the same enclosure (adults too, by the looks of it). Amongst those were a few others of scrawny looking beardies who looked like they might have some level of MBD (I’m not sure, I’m not a professional). I hate to sound “preachy” but these all sound like less than ideal conditions...

I am in NO way in a position to go out and purchase these animals and become some sort of “sanctuary”, as much as I’d like too. I’d probably rather leave it to professionals as which leads to my question. Is there anything I can do about this? Are there rescue sanctutaries or anything of the sort I can email these Craigslist entries to? I’m sure I’ve heard of something like that, and they sometimes go hunting through Craigslist to buy sick pets from people and whatnot? I know I could probably cross my fingers and pray that they get sold off to good homes in the first place but you never know. I just want be sure there isn’t any direct action I can take. Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It is tough to see those ads on craigslist. Unfortunately there isn't much recourse aside from adopting (or in some cases paying for) them and trying to nurse them back to health. Not everyone is prepared for this though. There are some rescue operations around the country that can help out but they are limited by resources and space. Donating to these rescues when possible can be quite helpful. Sarah's rescue in Utah is one of the main ones I follow http://pamperedbeardies.com She often rescues reptiles from local craigslist ads. If you do decide to help be sure to have plenty of money for proper equipment and veterinary care. Go in armed with knowledge on how to nurse a sick dragon back to health and try to be prepared for it not to go well (this part is emotionally very stressful).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom