Kickstarter: Help This Neglected Dragon Start A New Life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/72319695/help-boga-the-bearded-dragon-start-a-new-life

Hello Dragon Lovers!

About a week ago I adopted this beautiful girl (whom I have named Boga) from a really tragic situation. She's about seven or eight months old, and was being kept in a 20 gallon tank with nothing but a brown paper substrate, a heat rock, and some plastic plants. She was surrounded by feces and dead insects, and she was very cold when I met her. She's small for her age because of the size of the tank, and she's never been given vitamin or calcium supplements. She was raised on very small crickets (though not nearly enough), and mealworms. She was abused in many ways (see the site for full descriptions), including several occasions in which her tank was filled with marijuana vapor when she was very young. She shows clear signs of trauma, won't leave her tank, and runs away from all human contact (though I have been making progress with her by gently hand-feeding her, she is still unwilling to completely trust me and leave the safety of her tank).

As informed bearded dragon owners, I know you are all familiar with stories like these -- people who buy one of these creatures on an impulse (usually from Petco, as is her case) without any idea of how to take care of them, and then raise them in neglectful and abusive situations. I have spent endless hours researching the optimum care conditions for these creatures, and so I am glad that she ended up with me. However, because I wasn't expecting or prepared to adopt a nearly full grown beardy so soon, I can't cover the full costs of a new enclosure right now. So I am reaching out to anyone who is willing to contribute to her new home, who can help her start a new life and recover and heal from her traumatic childhood.

Also, I am offering a signed print of my own original painting of Boga as a reward for contributions of $30 or more! (For other examples of my artwork, visit: Eben Schumacher, Artist in Middlebury, VT

Anything you are willing to contribute would be a huge help!

Thank you all so much!

Best,
- Eben

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/72319695/help-boga-the-bearded-dragon-start-a-new-life

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I most likely will donate, but I would not do bioactive for her at all yet. You'll need a lot more money for a bioactive enclosure that wont cause problems.
Personally for me bioactive should not be done unless you have a 6x2x3 enclosure at minimum with a large rocky area that the beardie can escape to if needed so that the particle substrate where bacteria is going to be really high wont cause problems. Fungal infections and eye infections are a big issue with particle substrates, impaction is also an issue, some substrates are more easily passed than others.

EbensDragons

Original Poster
Thanks for your input, VenusAndSaturn, and your concern is noted. I've done quite a bit of research on the bioactive setup and I approach it with due caution. The cost of the fundraiser is intended to merely supplement the full cost of the bioactive enclosure -- rest assured, I am willing to contribute as much as time and resources as are necessary to make sure the transition is as effective as possible. Any direct contributions would e greatly appreciated, of course, or even if you are willing to just share the link on social media, it would be a huge help.

Thanks so much!

Best,
Eben

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How is Boga doing? Did you get enough money to start fresh w/ her?

Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom