New Rescue beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chon231

Hey everyone! I've used these forums a ton in my research into taking proper care of my new beardie. She is a rescue, I'm not even sure how old. Essentially an older couple went to the hospital for health issues and never had anyone take care of their animals so she was extremely underweight and lethargic. She is putting on weight, eating more, pooping regularly and seems happy with more energy but I just want to make sure she looks okay as I'm a novice. She appears to be shedding, and while the top of her head is turning a bright orange, her back is getting dark lines appearing across it. Nothing that appears too alarming but again, a novice. I'm also having a bit of trouble with temps, the heat tape causes the floor on either side of the tank to reach 100-120 and the taller basking rock which is now under the UVB was reaching 140+ when under the lamp. I've included some pictures and would love any advice! Glad to be a part of this little community xD

iGz1bRE.jpg

iC9oXpQ.jpg

V6OadXZ.jpg

UaMM6o3.jpg

This was also posted in introductions, posting here for visibility and hopefully some initial advice. If that is not allowed I will gladly remove one.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I am glad you got him, I feel like he is in better hands now! Just a few suggestions though!

Unplug the heat tape!!! Those temps are waaaaay to hot.
They use heat from above to regulate body heat.
Basking spot..... 95° to 100° for adults...100° to 110° under 1 year old.
Warm end...90° to 95°
Cool end......75° to 80°
If that uvb light has a plastic cover, remove it asap. Plastic and glass block UVB rays.

Chon231

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! I turn the heat tape off when the lights go on in the morning and turn it on at night if it's colder by the window but I have my IR thermometer to constantly check the temps. No cover on the UVB either though I did finally get it working only a few days ago.

Congratulations on rescuing your beardie!!! I am glad she received a new home before it was to late. I also rescued an underweight dragon and my suggestion for getting her weight up would to be to feed her dubia roaches and wax worms. You can order them online. Wax worms are not to be used as a staple food since they are very high in fat, but they helped me to get my beardies weight up quickly. I would ditch the heat tape. All you need is a uvb bulb and a separate basking bulb, and maybe a black bulb for night time if your house reaches under 65F. If you basking bulb is getting to hott I would recommend getting with one with a lower wattage. Ideal basking temp is 100-106. You also need a temperate in your cage so make sure one side is much lower, high 70's to low 80's. Also make sure you are calcium dusting food. Good luck hope you can get her back up in good help.

Chon231":1egjc5be said:
Hey everyone! I've used these forums a ton in my research into taking proper care of my new beardie. She is a rescue, I'm not even sure how old. Essentially an older couple went to the hospital for health issues and never had anyone take care of their animals so she was extremely underweight and lethargic. She is putting on weight, eating more, pooping regularly and seems happy with more energy but I just want to make sure she looks okay as I'm a novice. She appears to be shedding, and while the top of her head is turning a bright orange, her back is getting dark lines appearing across it. Nothing that appears too alarming but again, a novice. I'm also having a bit of trouble with temps, the heat tape causes the floor on either side of the tank to reach 100-120 and the taller basking rock which is now under the UVB was reaching 140+ when under the lamp. I've included some pictures and would love any advice! Glad to be a part of this little community xD

iGz1bRE.jpg

iC9oXpQ.jpg

V6OadXZ.jpg

UaMM6o3.jpg

This was also posted in introductions, posting here for visibility and hopefully some initial advice. If that is not allowed I will gladly remove one.

Hey Chon231!!

That’s great that your helping a beardie in need!? One suggestion though, I wouldn’t put real rocks underneath a basking light (they are real, correct?). Beardies stomachs are sensitive, and they can burn easily when the rock heats up. Unfortunately, I know this from expiriance from my first beardie Cassian who died because of it and a few other things (including because I bought him from PetSmart). I use a branch perch for Autumn. I hope this helps. Good luck!!!

SGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom