Re=homing an old beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiala

Hi,

I was planning on getting a bearded dragon after being interested in getting one for years, then randomly my bf's friend from work said about needing to re-home his due to not being able to commit enough time. Originally he said she was 3 yrs old, now hes saying she's around 5 yrs old. Apparently she doesn't eat anything but locusts and wax worms, barely touches vegetables and wont eat any fruit or drink water from a dish. She's overweight and has been in several different homes, the first didn't treat her well and the second nursed her back to health. I would be her fourth home, the fact that shes been moved around so much is what's making me want to give her a stable home, I don't think it's fair to allow her to go to someone else who will likely not care for her or will re-home her again and her current situation of not getting out of her viv or being given the correct amount of time isn't great. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me, in general or with regards to helping her lose weight and eat more veggies. TIA

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there. it's great that you're willing to give her a good home. :) Weight reduction should come slowly, just taper off the amount of insects she was being fed and offer veggies [ not much fruit because of high sugar content ] and after a while she should eat at least some veg. Offer greens like turnip, mustard, collard, dandelion, arugala as well as squash and green beans. A few strawberry + blueberrues as well, but cut them smaller + mix with the others. Stop the waxworms and offer locustas only 2 X a week, only a few at a time. She should get hungry enough after a couple of weeks [ maybe sooner ] to go for some salad. Walmart may carry a mixed bag of most of the staple greens that I mentioned. Wash it before hand and feed it to the locusts as well.....she'll at least get some from their gut because they've eaten it [ That's called gut-loading the insects ] Avoid spinach, and use kale only as PART of the diet, not as a staple .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom