Athena, the rescue dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudyCat

Many of you have helped me and supported me in Athenas recovery. But for those who don't know, here's her story.

9/7/17
I received an email from a friend of a friend (I assume, I actually have no idea how he got my contact) saying this (and a few other things):
"I have a female bearded dragon I got with light symptoms of mbd got her healthy, but she laid eggs twice within 2 months (32 total) gave her lots of calcium and a few pinky move to up her calcium Intake
But seems to have gotta worse. Was looking for someone who has time to take care of her as I work 40+ hours. Her appetite is good bowls are normal weight is good. Her limbs have no strength fronts at least bc she can still move."

I responded within minutes saying I would love to take her. We worked out where to meet and he confirmed the time the next day.

9/9/17
By 10 we were on our way to pick her up. It was about an hour and a half drive both ways.

When we pulled into the petsmart parking lot (our designated meeting place), I went inside to see if the guy was in there. He messaged me after a few minutes and said he was outside. It only took us a few minutes to find him, and it was clearly a pass off. He didn't want her anymore. He handed her to me, answered my questions, and was gone. The guy said he was going to have her put down Monday (it was Saturday) because he couldn't care for her anymore, she had been fed on supers, dubias, pinkies, and collards.
She had no name, so I named her Athena. As soon as we were in the car I started looking her over. Athena had almost no mobility in her front legs, very limited mobility in her back legs, and could hardly lift her head. She was also COVERED in horrible stuck shed (it looked like many sheds had gotten stuck and built up to one thick layer) and had about a dozen small cuts and minor injuries. As we drove, she tried to move but couldn't do more than flop around.

When we got home the first thing I did was bathe her(she was dirty and I wanted to see the extent of her movement). When put in the water, I had to hold her head up to stop her from drowning. After a few minutes she started to "swim"(flop around and try to move). I took a video, if anyone wants to see say so and I'll message it to you.
This was the first photo I took of her.
93440-4172856738.jpg
I got her settled into her tank and offered her food and water, she ate a few crickets and then refused to eat any more.

9/10/17
I started her on chicken baby food, mashed crickets, and water mixed with calcium(until I got liquid calcium for her). She wouldn't eat anything but baby food and had to be force fed for several days.
She was flipping onto her back every time she tried to move and could not flip herself back over. I was forced to leave the house so I brought her with me, which I regret now.
That night, I brought Athena out while I cleaned her cage. I let her down on the floor because she kept trying to jump off the bed and I didn't want her to get hurt. I turned my back for about ten seconds and when I turned back to look at her she was on her back, complete black beard, and completely unresponsive. I panicked and after a few minutes of massaging her chest and talking to her she opened her eyes and I realized she wasn't dead. God was I relieved.
After this my parents tried to pressure me into putting her to sleep, and I almost did. I was about to call the vet and make an appointment when I stopped. It wasn't the best thing for Athena. She wanted to be alive.
I gave her a soft blanket to sleep with and sat with her until she fell asleep, then stayed up all night (despite the fact i had school the next day) to watch her.

9/11/17
Athena started to improve and I was able to go to school fine, leaving her home with my parents keeping a close eye on her. I continued force feeding her.

9/12/17
Athena continued improving and I let her sleeping with me for part of the night.

9/13/17
Athena stood for the first time while I was feeding her.
93440-8092116322.jpg

9/15/17
I started her on liquid calcium and bee pollen.

9/17/17
For the first time in several days, Athena flipped onto her back sometime during the night. When I woke up and saw her I thought she was dead. I flipped her and she immediately perked up and was fine.

9/20/17
I peeled off the rest of Athenas stuck shed and she was shed free! I stopped giving her baby food and started on greens and crickets.

9/24/17
I took Athena off liquid calcium but she continued getting bee pollen.

9/29/17
Athena came on vacation with us and came back fine. She was happy to be home!

10/1/17
Athena ate on her own for the first time since we got her.

Today, Athena is walking and eating on her own. I've become very attached to her and my parents want to keep her haha. She no longer needs liquid calcium, but gets calcium and bee pollen dustings on her greens daily. I am so glad I didn't have her put down and I've learned a lot from this experience.
I'm currently looking for a home for her. She'll be ready in a week. It'll be hard to let her go, but I can't keep her. As long as she gets a good home and I get updates ?!
Right now she's asleep next to me on the bed and is enjoying life to the fullest! Her favorite spot is in my lap and she is the sweetest, never once bitten me and loves attention.

Thanks for reading Athena's story, you can find many pictures of her on Instagram (@scexoticsrehabandrescue).
93440-7788146082.jpg
93440-2954831505.jpg
(She woke up as I was taking a pic)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's great to read about her progress. She looks so much better already! Thank you for giving her good care and a happy home =).

Akire

Thank you for rescuing her and giving her the TLC she deserves. It's really sad how common it is for beardies to end up being neglected. Seeing stories like this warm my heart. She is such a cutie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom