Beardie with MBD - Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudyCat

Hi everyone.
So somehow I've ended up rescuing a bearded dragon with MBD. Not sure how severe, I'm getting her Saturday.
Backstory:
I got my bearded dragon Quinn a month and a half ago now, but I've owned reptiles for two years. After I got her I started connecting with other reptile owners in my area. I was talking about starting rescue for reptiles in the area the other day, and what do you know.
A friend of a friend messaged me this afternoon and said they had a bearded dragon with MBD. Front legs immobile according to them. The bearded dragon had minor MBD when the current owner got her, and they managed to get rid of it. Don't know how long ago but the beardie laid two clutches of eggs (a total of 35) in a period of two months and her MBD came back, worse this time. The owners upped her calcium intake but to no avail it seems. They don't have the time to care for her properly and now I'm ending up with her.
So that's basically what I know. No clue about her past housing or where they got her, I'll get that info when I pick her up.
I ordered a Reptisun UVB bulb and a basking light a few minutes ago. I have a twenty gallon tank that I'm going to use temporarily until I can get a larger tank. I was going to use paper towels as substrate for now at least.
I have one photo of her.
93440-5863118847.jpg
No other photos. I'm assuming she's an adult based on the photo. Hoping it isn't too bad and I can find her a good home as soon as she's better.
Any advice on treating MBD? I know I have to give her lots of UV light and calcium. I'm going to take her out in the sun if the UV bulb isn't here on time. I'll upload photos as soon as I get her.
Do you think she'll be fine in a 20 gallon tank for awhile until I can get a larger tank? Will paper towels be a good substrate? What are your experiences with MBD?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi CC....that's a good deed to do for this poor girl. Everything sounds good that you mentioned , a 20 gal. is O.K if she's not very mobile. If you want something bigger you can find very large totes at Walmart/Home Depot or Lowe's that are about 50 gallon. You might get some liquid calcium and bee pollen to boost her health .

She doesn't appear to be deformed from that pic and seems to be a decent weight. Offer oral hydration regularly, they lose a lot of hydration with egg laying and people often don't think to give them a good drink. If she seems to be in very bad shape when you get her you can post in the E.R as well. Best wishes for a happy ending. :)

CloudyCat

Original Poster
AHBD":13fs6qqw said:
Hi CC....that's a good deed to do for this poor girl. Everything sounds good that you mentioned , a 20 gal. is O.K if she's not very mobile. If you want something bigger you can find very large totes at Walmart/Home Depot or Lowe's that are about 50 gallon. You might get some liquid calcium and bee pollen to boost her health .

She doesn't appear to be deformed from that pic and seems to be a decent weight. Offer oral hydration regularly, they lose a lot of hydration with egg laying and people often don't think to give them a good drink. If she seems to be in very bad shape when you get her you can post in the E.R as well. Best wishes for a happy ending. :)

Okay thank you! I might end up getting a large tote if she is more mobile.
I'll pos in the ER if she's in bad condition when I get her.
Hopefully it isn't too bad.
Thanks for the wishes of a happy ending!

Leroythedragon

Hope everything works out for the best and a speedy recovery!! I just nursed our dragon back from this terrible disease. He showed symptoms 4 days after we bought him from the pet store ?. His legs were limp too and he is back walking again so I know it's possible!!! He wouldn't take water from a syringe I had to actually give him warm baths and he would drink from there!

CloudyCat

Original Poster
Leroythedragon":nugrpjij said:
Hope everything works out for the best and a speedy recovery!! I just nursed our dragon back from this terrible disease. He showed symptoms 4 days after we bought him from the pet store ?. His legs were limp too and he is back walking again so I know it's possible!!! He wouldn't take water from a syringe I had to actually give him warm baths and he would drink from there!

Glad your baby is doing well! Too bad he got sick in the first place though. Athena has started walking and spends most of her time cuddled up with me or playing. I had to give Athena water from a syringe and force feed but she's doing good now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom