Underweight adult beardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdxdmc

I adopted a 5 year old beardy from a friend, who did not take care of him. He was eating once a week, and bathing once a month if that. I have had him for about 2 weeks now, and I have had to force feed him critical care to get is appetite back up. HE is now eating live feeders and greens and seems to be putting a little weight on. I got him at 207 grams, nearly dead. How long does it generally take to fatten a beardy up? He has the bones at the base of his tail still showing a lot, and I feel so bad for him.

Mysty

Juvie Member
You're doing the right thing with critical care. If he came with his old setup do check that temps are correct and uvb tube has rece5ntky been changed as this is crucial.

Recovery happens at different rates so there's no set amount of time to continue using critical care. The bathing isn't important unless he's dirty or having trouble pooping, in which case warm water can help.

Hopefully you'll see big changes soon as he's getting the right care.

tdxdmc

Original Poster
the critical care from oxbow is incredible. That was his only food for a week, and I saw huge improvement every day. He went from sleeping all day and throwing up, to being awake, alert, and mischievous. I started to feed him butter worms and super worms this week while cutting the critical care down to just a little for the extra nutrients. He eats it well, he goes to bite at the syringe and i can squirt most of it in his mouth in one shot. As for the baths, i had taken him to the vet in the beginning and he recommended i bathed him 2x a day. I now lowered it to every other day. He was horribly dehydrated in the beginning, the vet even injected liquids into his back. At 207 grams he was at deaths door. How long does it normally take to beef them up?

tdxdmc

Original Poster
and the temps are good, i got 2 new thermometers for the wall, and a temp gun for his basking spot. I am however replacing all the lights as soon as i can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom