How to make my little boy feel at home

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE SITUATION:
So a few weeks ago I rescued a bearded dragon from a terrible and neglectful craigslist situation.
He is a one year old Male named Mochi!

underfed, low calcium, tail rot, light was old and he had the early signs of MBD, tail rot etc. (there are more details-WHICH ARE BEING TAKEN CARE OF/TREATED- but for the sake of getting to the point, I am being brief)

I have since given him many baths, sanitized the hell out of his tank, removed the loose substrate/replaced with shelf liner and threw everydecor/hide he came with away and bought him a new uva/uvb bulb and heat bulbs, a new log, a new blankie and a new hammock

He recieves actual live food and fresh salads daily with extra vitamins and calcium supplements and i track his water intake in addition to his regular baths and his betadine/neosporin tail soaks/treatments

he has since had a HUGE shed since we got him and it looks like from the color of his eyes he is supposed to be more yellow (not to mention LARGER for his age - but i digress)

we had an issue with him glass dancing/running full force into the glass/any mirror so i covered 3 sides of his viv with natural drop paper, which i replace each week when i clean his viv.

I have seen other posts emphasizing to keep new beardies COMPLETELY separate due to the transmission of disease or parasites- I am even more wary since Noodle is from a reputable breeder and Mochi is from PetCO ( :evil: )

I always wash my hands and sanitize them in between touching him and handling my other bearded dragon/spoiled brat (1 1/2 yr old female) and i always wash their food and water dishes separately (his are new anyways but can't be too careful) they literally share NOTHING - I have separate things, toys, blankets, dishes, branches etc. for each of them

I totally understand the little guy getting all grey and black bearded because he is in a new environment and hasn't been used to this much care/handling/love in his entire life- he also freaks out whenever he sees his reflection or when he catches a glimpse of Noodle (who roams the house whenever and wherever she pleases); Because of this- I have put their vivs in separate rooms in our apartment to keep him from stressing so much (the paper on 3 sides of his tank help alot! both with his stress/bearding episodes and he's even turning a bit yellow in color!).

SO HERE ARE THE PROBLEMS:

1. I live in a 1BR/1BATH/1LIVING RM/KITCHEN apartment and it has become almost impossible to keep Mochi from seeing her due to the permanent hallway mirrors on the closet doors leading to the bathroom and Noodle's constant roaming about (She doesn't give two $#!*'s about his presence **I held her up to the glass a few times for them to look at eachother; he freaked/flared/bearded out and she just had a 'mehh' look/reaction***) he stresses everytime

2. There isn't enough "foot-traffic" or every day activity in the bedroom where Mochi/he is in relation to the living room/kitchen where Noodle's viv is. I worry that the lack of visual stimulation and activity is slowing down his familiarity with his new home. (not to mention- it is much warmer due to open air flow/large space where he is vs- colder where she is and has the tendancy to get humid due to the proximity to the shower)- i have fans blowing towards him and ironically, its easier to control his temp than hers

3. I haven't found any kind of shelving that would hold them both (they both have top-opening glass tanks and I would like to avoid stacking them as much as possible- still looking for another table to hold one of their tanks (To be continued...)

MY HOPEFUL OUTCOME:
I want them in the same room- being able to see eachother with out stressing (they wont ever touch each other and will only be out one at a time -[although a beardie mommy can dream...] and I do NOT want to breed them!****)

Here are pictures of the two of them:
Mochi:
92964-3565052706.jpg
92964-770235975.jpg
92964-1498260931.jpg

Noodle:
92964-6379937692.jpg
92964-6772420341.jpg
92964-4886995400.jpg

TELL ME MY SOLUTION! PLEASE!!!

You’re awesome for doing what you did and having the knowledge to properly treat his unfortunate former life. He has a second chance now and that warms my heart! I think time, consistency, and patience will be the answer here. He will just have to get used to Noodle and his new life. Once he realizes the day to day norm, he will being to settle. Once he learns your motives and feels your energy, he will begin to trust you. Best of luck! Keep us updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom