Found a beardie in my backyard on long island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I found a Beardie about 14" with tip of the tail, healed but missing in my backyard in my vegetable garden. I live on Long Island the temperature now is 50-65 degrees at night and maybe 75 during the day, which worries me ALOT! I am currently trying to find him a home. I have had him for about a week now and no luck. I have a new infant in the house so I am afraid to keep him. I am an animal lover so I set him up a few options for heat. We have a basking light set up in a Tupperware that is on 24 hours with a heating pad underneath. We kept him in that the 1st 2 days while we fed him veggies, crickets and waxworms in my bathroom. Then the 2nd night he turned bright yellow and ran around the Tupperware like he needed to get out so we added a small opening on the side of the box so he has a choice to leave and put him back out by the garden. 3rd day he basked in the sun and hung out in my garden, 4th day it was raining so I picked him up and put him in the heat encloser but he refused to stay in there...yesterday was sunny he basked in my vegetable garden eating the lettuce and snow peas I left for him where he laid. He walked around my veggie garden and was digging holes and laid in them. When I came home from work as the temperature started to drop I found him in the heat enclosure bright yellow again so I fed him more crickets and waxworms, he ate them all. This am he was still in the heat enclosure, this afternoon he was in the garden again looking brown. Tonight as the outside temp was going down he was in the heat enclosure yellow again, no black by his beard at all. He's either light brown, dark brown through his back or yellow.
I've read almost every post on this site, my question is: could bearded dragons adapt to colder weather? Will he be happier in a tank after he gets adopted by a forever home? He seems happy having the option of cold and hot. My worry is that this guy or girl has lived in the colder weather and he doesn't like the 100 degrees it is under the basking light in a tank set up. He or she is really enjoying his freedom but I don't want him to get sick or die. I'm just torn right now. I don't want to do this guy any injustice. Seems pretty healthy and happy the last couple of days...I need some advice.

CelesteOT

Hey there long island! I'm sure that this reply is far too late but wanted to see if you needed anymore help? It sounds like you have been doing amazingly with your little rescue as it sounds as if this beardie was at one point a bred captive and cared for in home type dragon, given his injuries typically seen in breeding conditions. As far as your care for him, providing options, this should also be done wheb captive in tank, with a heat and non heat area, you have done your research!! BRAVO! I'm unsure if this guy's left your property yet or not but would love to hear back on if you still have him, which should not be a concern to your infants health, coming frim a mother of 3, or if you are still looking for a home. HAPPY TO HELP AS NEEDED!

FoundBeardie8

Original Poster
Thank you for your post!! Yes I actually found him his forever home! One of my Facebook friends had one already and ended up setting him up another tank for him. Thank god! I'm sure the poor guy was very confused...can't believe a person can just let him go knowing his necessities... :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom