Rescue Dragon. Weak legs. Won't eat crickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesrin

Ok. Let's start that my husband bought this bearded dragon off the street from some person who thought it was an iguana. I can't make this up. It was in a small cage, only about the size she says. So I assume she dad not so much moving around if any at all. We pit it in a bigger tank that I had extra from my snakes. She's pretty big about a ft long with tail.it's been a week now and we noticed that she cannot hold her weight up and does not move around. She's been eating romane lettuce okay however she appears not even to know how to eat crickets. We got the calcium and keep her tank warm. I know snakes not to much about bearded dragons. Any info to help her rehabilitate would be helpful. Thank you.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor girl sounds to be in rough shape. It's good that you got her a bigger tank. She will need lighting that provides proper temperature and UVB. Her basking area should be between about 100-105 and a cool area available at around 75-80. Everything should be pretty flat since she isn't moving around much. A good UVB light should sit over the basking area. I can help you find a good fit if you can provide the dimensions of your tank.

The more immediate concern is getting her hydrated and alert. Offer her drops of water on her nose using a dropper or plastic syringe. Offer small amounts of a few ml at a time several times per day. If she licks up the water that's a good sign. Getting her hydrated may do quite a bit of good. Since she's eating on her own, that's a good sign too. Focus on veges rather than bugs as the protein may overwhelm her system. Since she's an adult she should be eating more veges anyway.

I would offer calcium rich greens like collard and turnip greens. Hydrating veges like yellow and green squash are a good idea as well. You can also offer chopped bell peppers or chopped green beans. The more variety you can offer her the better. This is a good list to reference for ideas for salads. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Go easy at first and build her back up slowly. Try to keep her well hydrated and provide proper lighting and hopefully she'll respond and bounce back. Please keep me posted and let me know if you have any questions. I'll do whatever I can to help.

If you want to post photos of her, you can upload them here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom