My new pet....beardie rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 3 weeks ago I was asked if i could take a bearded dragon. Always wanting a lizard as a pet i was so excited. He brought Lilly over and it was love at first sight. The poor thing was in a 20 gallon cage with a water bowl and one basking rock. She had spent her whole 2 year life in there. Immediately after the guy left i took her out of there and she clung to me like a baby. She was so lovable. I named her Lilly. I did all the research I could. I bought her her leafy greens...vitamin powder...some pellets and crickets and dubia roaches. I began to feed her regularly by hand. She fell in love with me I think as I fell in love with her. I had a huge stand up closet that I made intro her enclosure with big logs and sticks to climb on and platforms to bask on. She is now the happiest lizard ever. Her whole demeanour changed she became so happy. I shut her lights off at night, wrap her up in her soft blanket, put her next to me in bed and she literally sleeps there all night without moving never leaving the bed. I give her baths....I splash my hand in the water, she swooshes her tail back and fourth like an excited kid and jumps in the water. I am so grateful for my beardie.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear you're able to give her such a good home and get her out of that jail cell tank =). It sounds like she's settling in well and responding to your care quickly which is great. I'd also love to see photos of her. If you have any questions about her care please let us know and please keep us updated on her progress and adventures =).

Moonlightspirit

Original Poster
Hi guys!! Thank you for your replies....I took pictures of her and of her old enclosure...the jail cell and then what she's in now. I'm still working on Lilly's new home there's so much more I gotta do. But living paycheck to paycheck with a new baby and a nine year old it can be difficult. But remember the fact too I am always holding her and she is always roaming the house....under my supervision because I wouldn't want her to munch on something that she may find like something the kids may have dropped. But I always vacuum and keep the house clean so. Also I read up on greens she can have everyday....along with vegetables she can have everyday...like squash which she loves. I also sprinkle her greens and veggies with that calcium I bought..I guess 3 times a week?? Is that right?? I feed her bugs everyday to every other day...which are crickets or sun is roaches. I give her a super worm as a treat. I took her to an exotic animal shop and the guy said she looks great. I am so happy. One thing though that I heard about this morning....GOUT!! I am so scared about that.....how do I make sure that Lilly never gets gout???????
90814-2063254635.jpg
90814-508438279.jpg
90814-5677946191.jpg

Moonlightspirit

Original Poster
Oh yeah and the cushion is in there because I haven't built her good platforms yet there's one on the bottom too I'm so scared that she could fall even though she is an excellent climber. I am a stay at home mom though guys so she is usually only in her enclosure in the morning to bask then I feed her out of her enclosure and she hangs out near me for the rest of the day.....oh and one more thing....she seems to be going towards the colder spots in the house....like she loves to bask....but its almost like she likes to get cold too....I don't get that....

Moonlightspirit

Original Poster
I keep thinking of questions...can I put fake plants in her enclosure?? I would think no....because of plastic getting too warm...or her trying to eat it....anything else you guys can think of that I can do to her house please feel free....

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Moonlightspirit":3nqqur9x said:
I keep thinking of questions...can I put fake plants in her enclosure?? I would think no....because of plastic getting too warm...or her trying to eat it....anything else you guys can think of that I can do to her house please feel free....

Some beardies are fine with plastic plants, but others will eat them. IMO, I would steer away from them

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
What type of UVB are you using? Is it a coil type or a long tube type?
In an enclosure that size it would need to be a strong one.

I have got to say that Lilly is lucky to have you as her slave(aka owner), she is a pretty girl and, seems very happy to be out of that cubicle.

Moonlightspirit

Original Poster
I have uvb coil and a heat bulb. We basically do the same thing every day she wakes up in the morning goes underneath her life then he's her salad and sometimes her crickets which is usually everyday sometimes every other day but I noticed lately that she's becoming spoiled eating her bugs and super worms and not eating her salad so if she doesn't eat her salad I really won't give her bugs. Then after she's done eating she becomes a monster has a bunch of energy and wants to run around all over the house. This is like her play time until she finally finds a spot which is usually a cold spot like the coldest spot in the house show flatten her body out and just fall asleep. She also thinks she's hiding when she does this it's actually funny because she does actually blend in really well sometimes it takes me awhile to find her . I have also Dragon proofed my house so she can't get hurt on anything . Then around dusk I will grab her and rap her in her blanket bring her in bed with me and warm her up on my skin and fall asleep. I am always checking her over for any signs of anything bad I act like a worried mother. I love her so much she is my baby I'm also going to download a new picture I took of her today everytime I take a picture it's so cute she poses

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Sounds like her life improved 100 fold with you! What a great set up! She must love having the run of the house :)

The user uploader does that sometimes. I tend to do minor adjustments to my photos, save them in the right orientation and then reload them. It's a pain sometimes. But we can still see how happy she is!

Moonlightspirit

Original Poster
Guys she isn't as interested in her greens!!! What happened??? I started feeding her crickets on the reg and now she won't eat her greens!! Maybe she doesn't like the kind of greens I got her?? I switch them up all the time....

Moonlightspirit

Original Poster
NBGwen":1e0ebpzg said:
Sounds like her life improved 100 fold with you! What a great set up! She must love having the run of the house :)

The user uploader does that sometimes. I tend to do minor adjustments to my photos, save them in the right orientation and then reload them. It's a pain sometimes. But we can still see how happy she is!

And yes !!! This morning I was doing dishes and all of a sudden I felt claws across my feet....she was looking up at me like hello!! I'm here mom!!

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
:lol: Sounds like she is completely in love with you!

As for the food, maybe try offering the greens in the am and crickets in the pm - that way she has to eat the greens in the morning. OR maybe offer greens one day and crickets the next until she realizes greens are good :) My Evee (she passed about a month ago) would never touch greens...her previous owners never gave them to her. It can be frustrating, but if you can get her to eat them regularly that is optimal for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom