Abandoned dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachmom

I am taking care of a bearded dragon that had been abandoned. I know very little about his life other than he spent approximately a week by himself in a small glass aquarium in an abandoned house when tempatures were 60 during the day and 45 at night. He didn't have lights or food. I assume he was not properly cared for in his time before that. We live in North Florida and have had a very warm winter so before that, tempatures shouldn't have been too bad (even without power).
I have offered lots of different kinds of veggies, but I haven't seen him eat anything. Any ideas on getting him to eat? We live a couple of hours from a pet store, but I can get live crickets locally. Should I try that?
I am worried about him being dehydrated so we had him in a sink bath yesterday and today. He had chunks of dried skin around his toes, but that came off yesterday and his color looks pretty good after a bath today. He drank some water and was in out for about 10 minutes/day. He also pooped both times he was in the water. It was a bright orange color.
I ordered lights today, but I'm improvising until then. He's happily laying in a 75 gallon aquarium now in a sunny window. Last night, he laid on me (he was dropped off yesterday afternoon) once it got dark as I was worried he was cold. He flattened himself out on my chest and stayed most of the night. I put him in the big aquarium about 7am when I woke up on the couch. Is there anything else I can do to keep him warm until the lights get here in two days? There is a ton of natural light coming in the window where his cage is. Will that get too hot? It doesn't have a lid on it.
So far, he doesn't move much. Are they normally this chill, or odd it probably from not eating/drinking/being warm and he will move more as he is properly cared for?
I've been reading a bunch on the basics, but would love any pointers about helping getting this guy back on track! Thanks!

Beachmom

Original Poster
He's at least a year old and is around 15 inches. The aquarium he was in was about 2 feet and had a sweater in the bottom and lots of orange dried poop.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, glad to hear that you have taken this poor dragon in. :) So you ordered lights that are coming in the mail [ UPS or FEDEX ] ? I was going to suggest getting an aluminum heat fixture and bulb from Lowe's. Walmart or Home Depot if you didn't have one already. A 100 watt bulb in a dome fixture should produce decent heat , but what exactly did you order > The tank near the window is O.K but you might need to block half of it with a thick piece of cardboard to be sure the entire tank doesn't heat up too much. Crickets are fine if he'll eat them for you.

Can you post a pic of him + his set up ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then hit XIMG

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Glad he has a good home now!! For a small start for a basking light you don't anything fancy. Just a cheap dome from Walmart and a good halogen/incandescent bulb.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That is a CHE [ ceramic heat emitter ] which is designed to put out heat but no light. It's O.K if you need night time heat but you need a bright white bulb for a dragon to bask + be happy during the day. So that won't do for his basking bulb during the day....they need a bright cage .

You say you have another bulb in the clamp dome ? What type + wattage is it ?

Beachmom

Original Poster
I put a regular 100watt lightbulb in a clamp light which he seems to love. I ordered a uvb light also. I had him by the window where he was getting direct light, but it seemed to be getting too hot. In the morning, he'll happily stretch out in it, but by 11am, he'd shrink his body and open his mouth.
He's starting eating quite a bit and prefers catching live crickets to eating veggies. I'm trying lots of different veggies/fruit and he definetely has preferences!
His funny personality is really starting to show the longer he's here. He seems to be settling in and coming out of his shell ?

BLESS you for saving this baby! Yes UV light is good and ceramic at night for heat.

Veggies, crickets, wax worms (to help fatten him) up with be good. Can you post s picture?

Are you going to keep him? They are WONDERFUL creatures and truly do give love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom