Rescued Rango

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momofzeus

Ok so I rescued Rango from deplorable living conditions. His/her not sure yet cage was so gross it would make you gag. Gnats were even in its cage. The people who had Rango feed him/her dried mealworms for birds. No water for I don't know how long. Rango is about 10 mo. I am really surprised it has lasted this long. I don't think it has ever veggies or fruit. He freaked out when I put live cricket in his tank. So the next day I put another cricket in his tank he refuses to eat them. He is really skittish he hasn't be held since he was about a month old. He will not eat apples or carrots but will tear up some greens. He will not eat live mealworms or wax worms. I also rescued another beardie but she/he eats live bugs but not veggies. His/her name is Zeus. Zeus loves attention. I rescued him from a kid who had no idea what all they need. Only feed dead crickets. No lights just in the dark and cold all the time. Zeus is so loveable though. ?☹️ Any suggestions are welcome!

kornel351

Hatchling Member
In this case what I would do is definitely give rep Cal calcium and Herpivite in his food everyday.I will put the crickets in the freezer to numb them so that they aren't dead but when he sees them moving a little he won't be as freaked out and even possiblely eat it .Since he eats some veggies I would mix them in with it .A next good choice might be to give him what he is used to like the dried mealworms and slowly decrease the amount that u put in while putting in a more appropriate food for him so he could recognize it as food that's how I got mine to eat pellets and veggies because they a weary of a sudden diet changes.

Momofzeus

Original Poster
Thanks komel351. I have been dusting all foods everyday. I will slow down once I can get them on a schedule. I didn't think about freezing the little boogers. I will try that. I wish I could get my Zeus to eat the pellets. I guess I wouldn't eat them either the smell to fruitty tootie. I am trying the new Fluckers bearded dragon foods. Well neither dragons will touch them. I think I will only offer veggies 3 times a week and meats 4 times a week to see if he will eat them. My leopard gecko I had to starve him a few days to get him to eat after the rescue. Now that little guy is a very picky eater! Picky picky lizards that I have.I swear I wished people thought through taking on an exotic pet or any pet really!

kornel351

Hatchling Member
Yea that seems like a good plan Ask for the pellets its completely normal for beardies to not eat them most actually don't but I'm pretty sure the little guy will pull through with patience and tough love .

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
He looks pretty healthy, good tail weight :)
You can pull the back legs off the crickets so they can't jump around in his enclosure. The freezing trick sounds like a good idea also. I have done it before when my horned lizards couldn't catch them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom