Advice on my rescue beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

So I just got my first beardie today, he is a 4 year old rescue. Always wanted one but after seeing this guy that was being given away as he wasn't being bothered with any more, it felt like this was the time!

He seems like he will be a nice temperament (didn't try to bite me when I collected him) and he seems confident- he stepped out of the box into his new viv within a minute or so and ate some salad within about 10 minutes! At the moment he is basking on his log, but every half an hour or so, he 'window surfs'- and his beard is still pretty dark (it was black earlier). I assume this is normal as he is in a totally different viv and house?

I have been advised not to feed him any live food for 2 days until he is settled, I wondered if people agreed with this? Also, when would you say would be OK to start stroking him? (He let me when I collected him but I don't want to stress him in his new environment)

Anyway, super excited to make friends with this little guy and any advice would be awesome!

Thanks,

Nikki

Gail

BD.org Addict
You can feed him live now, never heard to withhold it until settled.
How does he act when you put your hand in the cage? If he doesn't seemed scared, then I don't see why you can't start petting him now. For the time being, only stroke his shoulders/back. Most dragons don't really like having their heads or tails touched so give him time to get used to you before you do that.
The glass dancing is fairly normal, as is the black bearding. Its possible he can see his reflection in the doors or maybe he sees something outside of the tank that has him a bit worked up. I wouldn't worry, males can be hormonal and act up time to time. Just wait until spring when its breeding season, thats when they get really feisty.

NikkiBaker92

Original Poster
Thanks for your advice!

He's doing so well- I just gave him 3 big meal worms and 4 crickets and he ate the lot. He's had a walk on the sofa too- he jumped out of the cage and sat on my chest for a few minutes! I think he's a confident one.

So today I've given him a bit of yellow pepper (ate the lot), some mashed carrots and parsnip and those insects. I've heard so many different things about how often/ how many insects to feed- from every day as many as they will eat, to once every 2 days, to twice a week! So I'm really not sure what to do.. or how much veg a day is appropriate?

Thanks again :)

Gail

BD.org Addict
When it come to insects for a adult, it comes down to how often you want to feed them bugs. It can be a few daily or a lot a couple times a week. I always preferred to feed a few daily. I feed superworms mainly and 3-4 a day is plenty.

Let him have as many greens daily as he wants, they should make up at least 80% of the diet. Its great that he eats his veggies so well, many can be so picky with them. Pick up some good staple greens and add things like peppers/carrots as extras.

He sounds like a really nice dragon, glad you got him and not some *****.

NikkiBaker92

Original Poster
I think I will feed lots every few days as I can be sure my schedule will fit with this. I know, to be honest he's probably never been fed much variety! I can't wait to introduce him to new foods!

I know, I am so relieved. I didn't know what to expect as the guy hadn't been getting him out except to feed him lately. He's almost asleep on his log after a big feed! I did accidentally drop a cricket before I managed to get it in the tank.. that will be a nice surprise when it resurfaces! :lol:

How long do they need to bask for after eating? and how long do they need to be in the tank to warm back up between playtimes? If he's anything like he's been tonight normally, he seems to want to come out a lot!

Thanks again for your help :D

Nikki

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
They need about 1.5-2 hours of uvb/heat exposure after feeding to digest their food, so make sure you don't geed him right before lights out.

I actually set up a little light in my living room so that when I take her out to explore if she needs to warm up she can go back under it.

86279-5262780162.jpg

I let her roam around until she either falls asleep or I need to put her back in. If she gets too cold or I have fed her then I put her back in her tank.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have portable lights too, they're great. One is a regular heat lamp in the kitchen for morning warm-up and the other is a MegaRay MVB in the living room for basking.

76248-2881195503.jpg

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
CooperDragon":2zhwn7pw said:
I have portable lights too, they're great. One is a regular heat lamp in the kitchen for morning warm-up and the other is a MegaRay MVB in the living room for basking.

76248-2881195503.jpg
I am going to have to try this, I think Peaches would like that.

NikkiBaker92

Original Poster
T
88358-3526145467.jpg

Thanks guys! That's a great idea, I will get a spare heat lamp. He's found the sun spot in the window, luckily I've got a spare uvb bulb so I've hung it near him as I'm aware that uvb rays don't pass through glass, do you think it's safe for him to bask like this occasionally in the day? He seems happy! I just want to make sure he gets his uvb if he's out of the Viv for prolonged periods.

Thanks again,

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Window time is good. They like to look out the window and they do get heat and UVA. I have a small dog bed in the window for my guy to enjoy window time. The MVB photo I posted is just below that. Putting your UVB light in the window spot is a good idea, but keep in mind the coils have very limited range (similar to T8) so it will need to sit about 6-8'' above him to be effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom