Help with Rescued Bearded Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

onil182

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum. I've just rescued a bearded dragon who was left to die by its owner. I live in Venezuela so its difficult to find supplements for reptiles and extremely expensive. Also, we dont have Vets that treat bearded dragons, as reptiles are ilegal here. So I'm all by myself to safe this poor boy.
When I rescued him This beardie was in place with about 70 degrees during the day and down to 50 degrees during the night, with no UVB nor Basking spot lamp

He is very mal nourished I can se the bones of his spine, and feel his ribs every time I hold him and give him full support. He has shedding problems and lack of apetite. He does not have temblors and he is somewhat active he isnt lethargic.

The treatment I'm giving him is:

- correct temperature in the terrarium with a basking spot
- reptisun Glo 10.0 12 hours a day
- 12 hours day/12 hours night
- 2 daily baths with warm water (he pups when bathng and seems healthy pup)
- Repcal Juvenile Bearded dragon food blended with water until liquid and given with a syringe

I also have calcium supplements, crickets, zophobas, tenebrus and madagascar roaches, but I havent given him any yet

I have 5 days with him and he is gettin better, but I would like your oppinion to learn what can I do better

Thanks for your help,
Pics

This is him when healthy before given to the owner that got him sick
full

This is him when I got it 5 days a go (sick)
full

I will take more pics if you need them. here is one of his face right now
87412-2825995255.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! Thank you for taking good care of this little guy. I recently rehabilitated a malnourished dragon who was left to die so I have some experience to speak from. The main thing I would focus on for now is to keep him hydrated. Offer small bits of water throughout the day (a few ml at a time totaling maybe 10ml per day give or take a bit). Keeping him hydrated will help his systems recover and heal. If he is keeping water down, then I would offer him some syringe feedings of baby food or pureed vegetables that are a watery consistency. This will give him some energy and nutrition. I would go easy on the protein at first because that may overwhelm his system as it tries to process. If you can find green bean or squash baby food or make a puree of those, I'd give it a try. I've had good luck with those. Just drop a little on his nose and see if he licks it up. What vegetables do you have available? It may also be a good idea to make a salad with small, easy to eat pieces and see if he will eat on his own. Since he is alert and active, he may go straight to eating on his own which is great. I'd still stick with veges for a bit while his system gets used to regular feedings. Do you have any idea how old he is? How big is he? I suggest keeping a chart of his weight so you can monitor his progress. Take a reading every day and just watch the trend to ensure he is gaining weight steadily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom