Rocky the Rescue ***Update***

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Rocky the Rescue

Rocky found his way into our hearts and home on a rainy Saturday a few weeks ago. After suddenly losing my first dragon, Zilla, back in November, I was left with an empty heart and an empty tank. A random internet search for dogs led me to the local animal shelter’s website. And there he was. Rocky looked fat and happy and my dragon-crazy-self drove right out to see him. He had a very visible tumor/cyst on his beard and I was told he had CAN-V (yellow fungus.) I took a copy of his vet records home to study and called my trusted reptile vet. After a family discussion, I was ready to rescue Rocky. He had already been adopted once and then was returned a week later. I feared for his future.

Two days later, I went to sign the papers and off we went. He was a bit anxious and so was I. It was different having an adult beardie that I knew nothing about. My last dragon arrived as an 8 week old baby and was a part of my life for 8.5 years. I knew every scale on his body. But this was different. He LOOKED different. The tumor/cyst was a bit intimidating and he was sick. I knew he deserved a fighting chance. Fingers crossed, I was ready to give him that chance.

Two days after arriving, Rocky was examined by our fantastic reptile vet. He confirmed what Rocky’s previous vet had found. A tissue culture from above his right eye was positive for yellow fungus. The tumor/cyst on his beard was tested as well but was negative. Rocky had just finished a round of Turbinifine and was eating and pooping well. And active. VERY active. My vet decided to stop the meds and give him some time at home to adjust before doing blood work and a fecal. At this time, I am awaiting the results from the vet.

Rocky weighs in at 675 grams and is 21.5 inches long. It’s hard to know what his past meals consisted of. But one thing is for sure: he LOVES his butterworms and hornworms. He eats lots of fruit and is starting to like his greens and other veggies. He runs around his tank like a crazy man and enjoys exploring the house.

I am in basic hospital mode with Rocky. I have removed all porous items from his tank and clean regularly with F10 disinfectant. He hasn’t traveled much with me, as I know the yellow fungus is highly contagious to other reptiles. But I’m sure he will have a trip or two to the beach with me in the near future.

I’m hopeful that I am able to give Rocky a happy life in spite of his diagnosis. He has truly been a sweet boy from day one - minus the time he bit the vet while his eye was being examined. Oops!

Thanks for reading about Rocky! I will continue to update his condition as I can.

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just got a call from the vet. Rocky's bloodwork looks "very good" and his fecal shows pinworms. So off to the vet I go to pick up his meds.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
This is truly a great thing you are doing!!!! Is the vet going to remove the tumor and treat the YF or is this more of a hospice type situation?

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
First, we wanted to determine his current health status. Now that we have that, the vet and I will make a determination as to next steps for the YF and tumor/cyst at his next appointment, which is in about 3 or 4 weeks
In the short time that I've had him, the YF does not appear to be spreading and the tumor has not grown.

Hoping for the best for him!!

BG23

Hatchling Member
Very happy that you are taking this guy inn and giving him a chance. You got yourself a handsome beardie and I hope everything works out for you two.

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much, BG23! We are spending our Saturday night snuggling in the Barcalounger, watching baseball together. He is just about asleep and I've got a nice glass of wine. All is good for Rocky and his mama!

BG23

Hatchling Member
That sounds great and you know what that is exactly what me and my girl Sliptornavich are doing. Only difference is that my girl is out cold haha she can't hang with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom