My beardie rescue story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I'm Jen from North FL. I have been a lurker for 3 years with my other beardie. Two days ago, my husband was on his construction site and he sees a bearded dragon running over his clearing. He was shocked, knowing that was extremely unsual. He told another guy what it was and went to go check him out. He was said it looked like someone just dumped him out in the woods. Well, my husband was scared the beardie would be bird food, so sent me a pic and scooped up the beardie into a bucket. He brought him home to me. I fed him, watered him and the beardie curled up and fell right to sleep in a tote box. It was the cutest thing! I named him/her Jack (my other beardie is Max). I was trying to let the beardie rest and get used to things. Yesterday she was wall surfing so bad, that we had to complete her enclosure last night. Even my lab would go to the tote and stare at her and then she would calm down. :roll: I didn't want to handler her too much, I was really just trying to let her chill. Apparently she didn't want to chill. I put her in her new enclosure, she checked out her new digs and then curled up and went to sleep. She looks slightly underweight, but other than that, she looks fine. Very alert, watches your every move. Loves superworms. :D

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jenn....good thing that someone caring [ your hubby ] spotted her. Sounds like she was either purposely released or possibly escaped from an outdoor enclosure. It does seem that more people are getting rid of exotics in FL. thinking that they will fare for themselves. Do you have pics ? Here's how to post them :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/
Use the XIMG button

jenh010112

Original Poster
I uploaded a picture. She is a he and not like my female at all. She is very calm, but we've had her for 3 years. My sister had her for 2 years prior.

He is very active. I can handle him, but Jack still doesn't like his reflection. I did put towels on the tank and he does have some bouts of calm. I'm just giving him time.

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
You need to post the picture in this thread for us to see it. Just press the XIMG button when you go to post.
Kinda sad that people do that to animals, both from the perspective from the misplaced animal and the potential damage it might have on the local ecology. Good on you for taking him in!

jenh010112

Original Poster
74399-2386883297.jpg

There we go. I was using my phone and could not figure out XIMG. :p

Anyways. He is so much more active than my female. But I think he's younger than her. His temps are fine, he's eating, pooping, just active. I do handle him everyday. He is starting to recognize me, which is cool. I think he might be a leatherback, but I'm not positive. He's not nearly as spiked and bumpy as my female. I'll have to try and get some good back pictures of him to post.

jenh010112

Original Poster
Finally! Today he had a bath and a snuggle. He has sat still for almost 2 hours now. I'm so very thankfully. I feel like he's finally settling into the family. I was getting really worried about him and his reflection.

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
Once you let him settle in for a bit (like a week or two), you should try taking him to the vet to make sure everything is alright.
Forgot to mention this earlier, but if you didn't already know, you should try to quarantine your new beardie to make sure the he doesn't accidentally give your other beardies something else. Mae sure you wash everything that you use between them, including your hands.

jenh010112

Original Poster
Oh yeah. He was quarantined and was making such a ruckus, we had to give him his own enclosure. He's a very active male and my other is a very docile female. They have not been introduced. He goes crazy every time he sees her. He has no visible parasites or in his poo. He seems quite healthy. No damage to toes, tail in tack, very clear/alert eyes. He's calming down already. We have had him a week. Today I'm making him a harness and a bridge for his house. :D

SDragons

Juvie Member
He is really cute. That's terrible someone would dump their animal. I'm glad your husband had the forethought to rescue him for the job site to pick him up when he saw him

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear that he found his way to a good home =). It sounds like he's settling in pretty quickly. A week or two is quite normal and in the case of a rescue, can be quick. It has taken my guy a couple of months to settle down and get used to his tank, cut down on the glass dancing, etc. I agree with getting a fecal test and baseline checkup done but it sounds like he's in good shape! It's a shame someone may have given up on such a sweet little guy.

jenh010112

Original Poster
Jack is turning into a monmas boy. He opens his mouth at my son and husband. They want nothing to do with him. Lol. He'll sit attached to my shoulder while I do my house chores. He literally clings to me when I try to put him down. He is a healthy little booger. Never knew I could fall for a reptile like this. I have to clean his cage. He left me a present. I took him out and he's sitting in the tote watching me eat cereal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom