How do you all handle the emotions that come with rescues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oatmeal

So, I recently acquired a rescue (made a few posts about him) in very bad shape. I've been doing my best to help, but I believe he is starting to go downhill, and I'm having a hard time with it. I'm so angry and sad that someone could let an animal get so malnourished and dehydrated that, despite my best efforts at a very balanced and measured refeeding program, it still appears as though his organs are failing :( I'm still hoping he pulls through, and his condition isn't to the point where I'm ready to bring him to the vet the euthanize, but I'm starting to think about what I would consider to be the line.

I haven't had to say goodbye to any of my critters in a long time (14 years), and I'm really nervous! I'm nervous that if he passes suddenly that I'll regret not bringing him to the vet sooner for a relatively painless death, and I worry that I'll make the call too soon and regret not giving him a better chance.

I guess I just want to know if any of you have any pearls of wisdom when it comes to knowing when it's time. Also, if you've rescued beardies in bad shape: How do you deal with the negative emotions surrounding the whole experience?

I think I'm venting a bit here. I don't have any friends who are reptile people, and my spouse (who is a wonderful, wonderful person), has been very hands off with this particular rescue and can't really relate (he frankly told me that he isn't comfortable with how frail he is, and how upset it made him. I get it).

No pressure on anyone to fix anything here. I just feel a bit isolated. If this were a cat or a dog I would have many people to confide in, but because he's "just a lizard" this situation isn't quite the same apparently :silent:

Thanks to everyone here for being so lovely and supportive :) I always really appreciate it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's very tough to deal with a rescue, both emotionally and in terms of time and care needed. I understand how you feel. I found it very satisfying to be able to use my knowledge to help an animal who needed me. Losing my rescue was one of the roughest experiences I've ever had and am still not really over it. I second guess my actions a lot and miss him terribly. I gave him my best effort and he got a final 9 months full of better care and more love than he'd had in his whole life. The fact that I was able to provide him with a better life and a happy home at least for a little while gives me great comfort. If another dragon comes along who needs my care I absolutely won't hesitate to provide my best effort to care for him. My advice is to keep going as long as he's showing fight. Keep offering him a healthy habitat and a good diet and lots of love. Dragons are scrappy little guys and can bounce back from an awful lot. Keep doing your best. You're giving him a good opportunity to fight back.

oatmeal

Original Poster
CooperDragon":36zs2eg5 said:
It's very tough to deal with a rescue, both emotionally and in terms of time and care needed. I understand how you feel. I found it very satisfying to be able to use my knowledge to help an animal who needed me. Losing my rescue was one of the roughest experiences I've ever had and am still not really over it. I second guess my actions a lot and miss him terribly. I gave him my best effort and he got a final 9 months full of better care and more love than he'd had in his whole life. The fact that I was able to provide him with a better life and a happy home at least for a little while gives me great comfort. If another dragon comes along who needs my care I absolutely won't hesitate to provide my best effort to care for him. My advice is to keep going as long as he's showing fight. Keep offering him a healthy habitat and a good diet and lots of love. Dragons are scrappy little guys and can bounce back from an awful lot. Keep doing your best. You're giving him a good opportunity to fight back.

Thanks for replying :) Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I've been dealing with the critters and working, so my agenda is full lol!
I think, intellectually, I approach it like you do: I feel like I'm giving him a decent shot at having a comfortable life. I think it's his age that is making me second guess my actions. If it was a younger dragon I don't know that I'd be as conflicted, as the potential for a long full life is there. With this guy, if he's 8 or 9, that's already a long (awful) life for a twice rescued dragon.

I am going to keep doing what I'm doing though. He's dropped from 217g (!!!!!!in fluids) to 208g today, and produced a decently sized (but awful looking) urate. The rehabber I'm working with is very knowledgeable, and is extremely helpful with the medical side of this rehab.
Thank you for being so encouraging.. What was your experience like with your rescue? 9 months of being loved and cared for sounds like it was worth it to me :) You're a wonderful person!

oatmeal

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3m55uqv7 said:
There isn't a set amount of time for them to live. I've read about one who lived to 20! With good care he may still have some good years left. It's worth trying. This is the thread about Dundee https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=209650

I just read that entire thread. Beautiful.. I'm so sorry that he didn't make it, and that the end was so sudden. :( Heartbreaking, but his progress, personality, and your dedication were the beautiful parts. Did you ever find out what caused his sudden turn?
Even though I knew the outcome from the beginning, I couldn't help but feel so hopeful while reading through your guys' journey. When I finally read your post saying that he had passed I got a knot in my stomach :( I can't begin to imagine how you must have felt. I do think that he was fortunate that you found him. His quality of life with you in the time that you had him undoubtedly surpassed the misery he would have faced otherwise.

Sorry, just got off a 12hr night, so my brain is not at 100% and my syntax and wording feel awkward!

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It's so hard. I know, right now, that if I could go back in time and re-choose what to do (A) Take him home to try to rehab, or B) Let the shop owner palliate him), I wouldn't do anything different. He is a lovely little creature who deserves a chance. My mom 'babysat' him the other day while I was at work (he can't be alone that long; he's too clumsy), and she fell in love with him completely, and she isn't a reptile person at all. She is also a nurse though, so maybe we just have soft spots for those who need a little extra TLC!

I'm extra disinhibited due to sleep deprivation, so I must tell you that you're a beautiful person :) I'm so thankful for all your help, and learning about experience with Dundee has made me even more appreciative of you :) All the people in your life, and any creatures under your care, are extremely lucky to have you around!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thank you for the kind words. Hopefully his story reinforces how worthwhile it is to give them every chance possible. They're tough little fighters with a strong will. His stomatitis never really healed. We ruled out an RI via lung wash. In the end there were signs that his kidneys were failing. It was probably mainly due to his hard years but I'm sure the meds we had him on put strain on his weakened system. In the end his systems just failed on him and there really wasn't anything we could have done. He went from a grumpy sick dragon who hated towels to a really sweet little guy at the end.

I'm glad to hear your mom grew attached to him. They can really capture us if we give them a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom