(Possibly) Rescuing a Store Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my wife and I are considering a beardie up for adoption at our local pet store. As a rule, we don't generally buy pet store animals because we've lost a lizard and a bird due to sicknesses they had from being in a store. Our beardie in question is (judging from my estimates) a little under a foot long, appears to be female from the width of the head and what appear to be two bumps beneath the tail. Relatively good shape, her lower jaw is jutting out a little but we figure if she's early stage MBD we can get her back to shape in little time with some TLC and calcium powder. She's quite nippy, especially for a beardie - I actually got nipped on the finger but she calmed down when we got her out of the tank (they are keeping her in a 20gal with a tube UVB bulb and heating bulb, carpeting, and she gets "romaine and lettuce daily" which I spoke to the people at the store about - I even mentioned I'd bring in a Tupperware of our homemade 'beardie salad' for her to eat (kale, green pepper, onion, carrot, cucumber, tomato).

Here's the problem. We have two adult bearded dragons, and while we plan on keeping our new one in a separate room, what risks are we running having this dragon in our house? I don't want a beardie with aggression issues going to someone inexperienced but at the same time I don't want to risk my beardies.

What would you folks recommend

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like she could use some love and a proper diet and setup. If you have room in your home, time to care for her, and think she'll be a good fit I'd say she will be lucky to join your family. She may take a bit of patience and care to get her to be calmer but that will likely happen as she settles in and gets healthy. If you can provide a happy home for her and are willing, I'd say go for it =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom