How much and how often to feed/hydrate emaciated dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oatmeal

So I made a post in the beardie ER forum:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=220260

And am specifically looking into how much and how often to feed. I don't have a lot on me now, and had not much luck during the STAT holiday collecting supplies. I'll be calling the vet ASAP in the morning, but until then I need to know how much to expect to give him without overloading his system.

I have: Powdered electrolyte from Tracie's store; sweet potato baby food; carrot baby food; oxbow carnivore care

Today he has had 1.5ml total intake (not a lot, but it's been small feedings, and I was out much of the day trying to find supplies).

Any suggestions? I feel the vet tomorrow may not be too much help.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can continue this in his main thread if you'd like. For starters I'd just use one of those little 3 ml syringes. I would offer him a watered down syringe full of the sweet potato (I'd get squash or green bean if you can) over the course of the day. I wouldn't offer more than that for now unless he seems eager to have more. I'd offer a little less than that if he is resistant. You could do maybe .5-1ml of carnivore care in the morning then 1ml of sweet potato in the afternoon and 1 ml of another veg in the evening (or more often with smaller amounts). I'd go with something in that range in terms of quantity though. Easy to start with, plenty of water, and let him dictate what he needs from there. It's a rough balance between tough love and being too forceful. Don't let him completely shut food out but don't overdo it.

oatmeal

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1il8dkfs said:
You can continue this in his main thread if you'd like. For starters I'd just use one of those little 3 ml syringes. I would offer him a watered down syringe full of the sweet potato (I'd get squash or green bean if you can) over the course of the day. I wouldn't offer more than that for now unless he seems eager to have more. I'd offer a little less than that if he is resistant. You could do maybe .5-1ml of carnivore care in the morning then 1ml of sweet potato in the afternoon and 1 ml of another veg in the evening (or more often with smaller amounts). I'd go with something in that range in terms of quantity though. Easy to start with, plenty of water, and let him dictate what he needs from there. It's a rough balance between tough love and being too forceful. Don't let him completely shut food out but don't overdo it.

Thank you! I'll stick with around 3ml then.. I figured it might be around there, but I really wasn't sure. The only other time I've done complete re-feeding with syringes was after my healthy beardie had surgery, and that's a completely different thing!
He seems to enjoy eating (doesn't like it when I open his mouth) but will calmly lick food off his nose when cued to do so.

:) Thanks again!

oatmeal

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2l6m4zs2 said:

Thank you! I'll stick with around 3ml then.. I figured it might be around there, but I really wasn't sure. The only other time I've done complete re-feeding with syringes was after my healthy beardie had surgery, and that's a completely different thing!
He seems to enjoy eating (doesn't like it when I open his mouth) but will calmly lick food off his nose when cued to do so.

:) Thanks again! Sorry if I seem like I'm fixating on small details. I have a healthy amount of scepticism re: vets, and I don't want to do anything that could compromise his chances or cause him more discomfort than he's already in

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You're not fixating on details. His life is quite important and I'm glad you've come to the group to get as much help as possible for your new buddy =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom