Morrigan - Warrior goddess and rescue beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinnia

Hi! A few months ago, I picked up Morrigan from a cousin who really didn't know what to do with an exotic pet. He meant well, but the lights, food, and substrate weren't right in her tank. I think we're going in the right direction, but I wanted to show off some pictures and ask some questions.

Okay, so. Say hi, Morrigan!
Morrigan%20log.jpg

She's a little grumpy. But looking much better! She's been thoroughly cleaned (much to her displeasure), been to the vet to help with the parasite issues she's been having, and has put on a little bit of weight. Health wise, she's fine, but I'm not sure of the best way to help socialize her.

She moved from one home where someone didn't bother with her and didn't know what to do into a home where they meant well...but still didn't know what to do. I know she's been handled when she didn't want to be handled, and also lost in the house at least once under improper supervision. The result is that she always flattens out and freaks out when I try to engage her at all, much less try to take her out.

Though, she's cute once she chills out some:
Morrigan%20box.jpg

Once she's out, she's happy to walk around and do her thing. She'll sometimes sit on my shoulder, and she doesn't *usually* bite.

I've been hand feeding her, which she seems to enjoy, but she got a little over excited and bit the crap out of me the other day. She was so focused on taking my finger with her that she wouldn't let go, and I had to tap her on the back with my free hand until she was mad enough to change targets. So, she's upset with me, and I'm left with the opinion that hand feeding is probably not the way to go.

Any other suggestions for how to socialize her that don't involve associating my hand with food?

Also, I'm a little concerned that she's not happy staying in her tank all day, but she gets pretty bent out of shape when I try to pick her up to take her out. Any suggestions on how to take her out (or otherwise remove her) from a front opening tank?

This is my first rescue (but not my first beardie), so I'm a little concerned that I don't really know what I'm doing to get her on the right track. :c Any help or feedback is appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It too my rescue many months to get used to being handled and many more to be somewhat friendly. That had a lot to do with overcoming sickness but also had to do with living in poor conditions with little to no interaction for most of his life. It takes a lot of time and extra patience with a rescue but it's totally worth it! Since it's been a few months I wouldn't worry too much about picking her up and giving her time to roam outside the tank. Start a routine with salad and running around outside for a while at around the same time every day. Maybe a morning bath but don't push it. Just try to get a routine going that she can get used to. Then try holding her in the evening around and after lights out. Let her get comfortable with you and feel safe around you. It won't be a quick change but in my experience that should help over time.

Zinnia

Original Poster
Ah, I hadn't thought about holding her after lights out! It makes sense that she'd be pretty chill, and she'd probably be happy enough for a warm lap and some zzzs.

Thank you!

She'll also probably like being handled now that being taken out of the tank isn't usually followed by a vet visit. No one really likes going to the doctor all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom