Help: First bearded dragon is a rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

osephj

t all started when my girlfriend bought me a bearded dragon from cragslist ....

Before we picked him up we were told that he was two and a half years old and that he was a girl and his name was "Dina" kinda like tina? (last picture shows his condition before we got him) He lived in a 45 gallon tank and his environment was filled with meal worms, sand, poop, and some beetles, it wasn't very clean. He was very underweight and is 17 inches long. At the time he only had a red night light and a day time bulb.

We eventually got him a compact uvb light and later exchanged it for a hood light with an exo terra bulb. His basking spot can reach about 100 degrees and the cool spots stay around the high eighties due to the weather. I feed him collard greens, strawberrys, and bok choy with suppliments. I used to assist feed him crickets but I am now moving on to dubias. He will sometimes watch food and try to eat it when I throw plenty of crickets or dubias in the same bin. The big problem is that he is only 199 grams and he has a lot of trouble trying to get an insect or veggies in his mouth. I'm not sure if he is shy or if he is not a good hunter, but i'm looking for a way around this. On the bright side, he's not as shy as he was when he first moved in and he really likes bigger pieces of greens because they're easier for him to eat. He really likes exploring around my room and is can be very shy and docile.

Please give me any advice possible! He still needs a name!

On a side note, if anyone can tell what kind of colors and morph he is that would be amazing.

and on another side note, can he still get down with the ladies even though he is small for his age?

82956-2278948338.jpg
82956-2660176563.jpg
82956-6988631692.jpg
82956-9263390800.jpg
82956-743686404.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....looks like you have him in pretty good [ visually ] condition. :) He's a normal/standard phase [ unless his nails are clear with no grey line then he'd be a hypo ] It might be best not to breed him considering his unknown genetics but it's most likely that he could do so.

As for set up, the better bulbs for UVB output are the Reptisun 10.0 long TUBE , the coil and compacts may often not put out the proper UVB. There is info about lighting on the right hand side of this page that will be helpful.

As for his eating, he may just be used to you hand feeding him now. Even some perfectly healthy dragons [ some of mine included ] don't seem to chase their insects but only eat them if the bugs are right next to them. Lazy buggers. :lol:

Other poster will chime in with their thoughts as well.....but it looks like you've done a great job. He wasn't in too bad shape at all to begin with as far as body condition despite his obvious neglect.

osephj

Original Poster
Thanks! I do not use any compact or coils. Sometimes he doesn't like me hand feeding him at all but i have to. He's coming a long :)

FortheLoveofLizzie

Hatchling Member
I want to say thanks for taking over his care. This forum is great. It is filled with knowledgeable friendly people who truly love dragons and they have helped me immensely. I am no where near being able to help another as I found My Lizzie about one year ago on the street. I use the reptisun long tube high output and a ceramic bulb for night time heating. Best of luck with your cute sweet guy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom