Hoggle the rescue beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brace yourselves, this is a long one. (you don't have to read it all, there are pictures at the bottom lol)

After months of reading and research, I finally decided around December that I wanted to add a beardie to my family. I got the tank, supplies and everything else set up before I even began to look at potential babies.

About 6 weeks ago a breeder on a local reptile fb page posted pictures about this sad guy that he had just rescued from a negligent home. He was told that the dragon was healthy and ready to breed. What he found upon arriving couldn't have been any further from that. He ended up taking him home just to get him out of the situation knowing that if he ever recovered he would have to find a pet only home. I knew that this was going to be my new baby. If he made it, I wanted to be the one to provide him with the kind of home that he should have had all along. I paid his adoption fee without knowing what his outcome would be.

He was covered in months of stuck shed and abscesses, wouldn't eat and only weighed 340g at 18 months old and 14in long. The breeder took him straight to his local vet and he was given a general topical antibiotic to help treat what also appeared to be a fungal infection. He was de-wormed twice and finally began nibbling at some food about two weeks ago and gained 4g.

Since he had started showing progress and there didn't seem like much else his rescuer could do that I couldn't, I decided to pick him up this past Saturday. After seeing him in person and then learning that the first vet had not done a culture to test for Yellow Fungus, I decided that I wanted to get a more solid opinion from a well-reputed herp vet close to my house.

I took him in this morning and although he's still quite malnourished and still looks a bit homely, he does NOT have yellow fungus, thank god. He actually doesnt have a fungal infection at all. He was an internal infection, similar to a staph infection, from being exposed to poor husbandry for the first 18 months of his life. The topical meds weren't helping because the problem was festering from the inside. After having his abscesses opened and cleaned, he was given a shot of antibiotics and sent home with some oral meds to take over the next two weeks.

It's going to take some more time but he is finally well on his way to being the happy and healthy boy that he should've been all along. The pictures are from Saturday after I got him settled into his new room, except the one of his beard. That one is from this morning after his abscesses were opened and cleaned. Now we wait.

80508-6208119863.jpg
80508-7085700943.jpg
80508-1315030153.jpg
80508-123139383.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, poor thing, I've never seen so many wounds like that other than pics of dragons that had Y.F. Hopefully he'll settle in good for you....I think there's a pretty lizard locked in there. :) If you want to put something on those abcesses you can try raw honey, it's a natural antimicrobial and keeps bacteria from growing while helping new tissue to granulate. It can be mixed with a bit of warm water , half + half.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor little guy. I'm glad he found his way to a happy home! It's great that you have an experienced vet nearby. I hope he makes a quick recovery and is able to live out a full and happy life with you.

onthefritz

Original Poster
britjoejack":1cdee9vd said:
Hey, any update on Hoggle?

Actually yes! He finished his antibiotics on Tuesday but I wasn't satisfied with how much his wounds had healed. They had definitely improved but were very much still there. I also noticed that he had a new abscess that appeared on his chin. He had also stopped eating again and lost the 15g that he gained the first week :(

Dr.Harbin was much happier with his progress than than I was (maybe it was because I see him everyday and couldn't see a drastic difference). He debribed a few of his spots that had dead tissue from the abscesses and also drained the new one, decided to try another antibiotic via injection for 5 days and recommended that I put some vetricin on the open wounds to help them heal. He also said that it was important that we get him eating again so he mixed some steroids in with his antibiotics to help increase his appetite. He wants another update in 10 days.

Ill see if I can upload some pictures of him later on. He still looks pretty rough but most of his stuck shed is gone and his colors are much brighter! He seems pretty active as well!

onthefritz

Original Poster
here are some pictures of him from the last two weeks

This one is a comparison of his wounds after his first vet visit on 3/9 (left) and what they looked like on 3/24 (right)
full

here is one showing some of the spots on his back where the dead tissue is. Dr.Harbin said that they are healing well and should fall off to reveal healthy skin soon. He picked one off yesterday but it bled a little so he didnt pick anymore.
full

this was him at the vet waiting for Dr.Harbin to grab his meds. idk why the image uploader rotates my vertical images like this?
full

and lastly, here's one of him looking rather confused over the weekend when his hammock fell down
full

onthefritz":3kx9ztge said:
here are some pictures of him from the last two weeks

This one is a comparison of his wounds after his first vet visit on 3/9 (left) and what they looked like on 3/24 (right)
full

here is one showing some of the spots on his back where the dead tissue is. Dr.Harbin said that they are healing well and should fall off to reveal healthy skin soon. He picked one off yesterday but it bled a little so he didnt pick anymore.
full

this was him at the vet waiting for Dr.Harbin to grab his meds. idk why the image uploader rotates my vertical images like this?
full

and lastly, here's one of him looking rather confused over the weekend when his hammock fell down
full

Yay! I'm glad to hear he is doing better. You're awesome for taking him in and making him better! :blob8:

onthefritz

Original Poster
Just thought that I would update everyone on Hoggle.

Last Wednesday morning I had to make the hardest decision of my life so far and took him to the vet to help him on his way and end his suffering. He had stopped accepting food via syringe on Monday night and by Tuesday morning he had a bunch of new abscesses show up all over his body. There was just more infection than his little body could handle and he became septic.

I am so sad and angry for him. I can't believe that someone allowed that wonderful little guy to end up in the condition he came to us in. He fought to the very end and is now buried in front of my barn so the sun can hit him bright and early each morning.

Im glad that he died in a home where he was loved and adored rather than the tank he was abandoned in two months ago.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Sorry for your loss :( He knew he was loved and you did everything you could. Makes me so mad that people get pets and abuse and neglect them :angry5:

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I am so sorry for your loss. Poor Hoggle was just too sick. You both gave it your best effort. He was so fortunate to have a proper home and a loving caretaker at the end of his life. I believe that you'll see him again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom