Rescued My Bearded Dragon on Thursday and Need a Little Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvazquez

I rescued a bearded dragon 4 days ago and so far he is doing great but he is glass surfing a lot. He would be about 9 inches if his tail wasn't stubbed so I'm guessing around 4 months old and he came in a 10 gallon tank. It was absolutely disgusting so the first thing I did was clean it and only kept the ornament and the tank itself. I already ordered a much larger, special tank but I am trying to figure out how to lower his stress levels now. I read that time outside of his tank could help but how much time should he get per day outside his tank, even after the larger tank comes? He does seem to be warming up to me nicely and will hang out with me and cuddle in my neck so that's awesome. He also reacted fairly well to his first bath and is eating like a champ. I know absolutely nothing about his last home except that his tank was disgusting and that he is missing part of his tail, one rear foot is missing toes and is pretty much a stub, and he is missing multiple other nails. Thanks in advance!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....it sounds like you're doing a great job with him already if he's eating and hanging out with you. :) Most young beardies will glass surf, so it's not unusual. It's good that you have a new tank coming....for now just be sure that his temps. are not too hot since it's VERY hard to have a proper heat gradient [ one side needs to be around 105, other cool side around 80 ] You also need to have specific lighting because not all the pet store lights are actually good for reptiles. There is an article on the right side of this page called " newbies guide , lighting help" Have a read so that you make sure to get the right lights. As for the missing toes + tail parts, as long as they're healed they will not impact his health. If you want to post pics of him, it would be nice to see him.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks great, very healthy + alert . :) It sounds like he'll make a good pet for you . And you asked about handling him out of the tank, I'm sure it's fine but use common sense. Like don't have him out after he eats until at least 2 hours have passed...that's so he has enough heat to digest his food, and even the just have him out for maybe a half hour at a time. The other thing to be careful of, even though he's tame don't put him on your shoulder + walk around. There are quite a few threads about beardies jumping/falling.....happens to babies as well as adults. They may be tame, but they do not understand that there is a great distance to the floor and some beardies become disabled from falling. A poster even had a beardie jump in the toilet, and if I remember correctly developed a respiratory infection from the water that it must have aspirated. That would almost be funny if not for the potential for health problem or injury. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom