recently rescued a beardie and need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
All that biting must have whet her appetite. :lol: Really though, I'm sorry you got bit...I'm sure you cleaned it off right away....but I'm so glad to hear that she chowed down her whole salad ! That's great !

wolfgirl

Original Poster
AHBD":o91ft4ud said:
All that biting must have whet her appetite. Really though, I'm sorry you got bit...I'm sure you cleaned it off right away....but I'm so glad to hear that she chowed down her whole salad ! That's great

I made sure to give it a good clean and used an antiseptic. But so relieved she ate her salad, she can bite me every day if that's what it takes :lol:

Here's the enclosure now that it's been all fixed up with new lights, new flooring, etc. Only thing left now is to drill a hole in the screen for the UVB light holder cord so I can put it inside the tank.

za96ND5.png

b65DShk.png

Ebs7DQi.png

her tank

and heres her giving me the stink eye after she bit me and i put her back in :lol:
mm5G6k3.png

Looks very bare now but come payday I will be buying some of those magnatural magnet rocks for her to climb on and a real hide rather than just a shoebox :D

If I need any additions or changes to the tank please let me know!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Looks like a very nice set up, and she looks much better in that pick. How is the feisty biter doing ? I think her face has a look of immense gratitude for being rescued. :)

wolfgirl

Original Poster
AHBD":35b2u28b said:
Looks like a very nice set up, and she looks much better in that pick. How is the feisty biter doing ? I think her face has a look of immense gratitude for being rescued. :)

I changed the tile so it fits better (previously had two 16x16 and it left a lot of empty spaces around the edges) and it was also too slick for her to get much of a grip on it, she has natural stone now so much rougher.

I think she's doing a lot better and settling down. She's shedding some of her beard and enjoys basking and is eating better (I fed her some calciworms and she loved those). I think she is still a little wary of me but thats understandable, for a couple days after she bit me she would puff up slightly if I touched her but now she seems okay with it. :)

I think she might be bored though. She does a little bit of glass surfing but not all crazy, more like just nudging and licking the door like she wants out (but I don't want to risk it at the moment until we build more trust) not sure how to enrich her enclosure some more?

wolfgirl

Original Poster
Also, I took a closer look under her tail... I think I might have a boy on my hands actually. Does this change anything?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If it'a boy you won't have to deal with potential egg laying. So in that sense it is easier, but an adult male may [ or may not] go through phases of restlessness, blackbearding and head bobbing at their own reflection in the breeding season, which can last a few months or more every spring/summer. But it's usually not a problem.

wolfgirl

Original Poster
Hm... I'm still having trouble feeding her salad. She gets hornworms 3x a week but still isn't interested in her salad. She ate it when I didn't feed her worms for a couple of days, just because I starved her out though. ): But now she won't eat it no matter how long it's been since she last ate... She's only interested in eating fruit if I offer it to her, and only one or two bites before deciding she doesn't want to eat anymore...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well, it sounds like she is favoring the hornworms, just like a lot of beardies do. I guess you'll have to wait until she decides that she will eat salads again. If she gets to a good weight, try the " tough love" again by with holding her faves and offering only the greens. At some point she will prob. eat greens again. Sometimes it works to lay a paper plate in the tank and just drop a few juicy leaves down on it from above.

wolfgirl

Original Poster
She does seem interested and goes into "hunting stance/mode" when I drop the leaves from above or move them around, but as soon as she realizes it's salad and not a delicious bug she ignores it. I just worry about the long term impact on her health if I can never get her to eat the salad...how long can an adult beardie refuse salad before it impacts their health?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom