adopting new beardie. need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

getgab92

Juvie Member
Okay so tomorrow i am adopting a beardie off of craigslist. It is a juvenile pastel dragon. He is not sure of the age but he said about 7 or 8 inches. I told him how to check the sex of it and he thinks it might be a female. I currently have a male but was wondering if there were any concerns the I should be aware of when owning a female. Like egg laying and stuff. I know riley will probably act weird around her like head bobbing and stuff but I'm not worried about that.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there.....your picture is not showing up. Have you seen the beardie personally ? It would be best to keep them separate for several reasons. This dragon may have unseen parasites or health issues, so don't allow them to interact, don't bathe this new dragon in the same container as yours, don't feed them at the same time, etc. Another reason to keep them apart is that one will become stressed, most likely the new one. Best to give her her own tank and let her settle in, in a peaceful quiet area. Hopefully she will make a happy addition to your family !

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh no no no. I have a whole different tank set up and everything. I wasn't planning on keeping them housed together. I am going to take it to the vet after I get it to make sure it doesn't have parasites or anything. But I would like to have them play together eventually. I was more concerned with health issues. Like i know they can lay eggs and sometimes have problems and have to get spayed and stuff. I didn't know how commin that was or if having a female is just the same as having a male

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Females aren't generally much more trouble as long as they're kept healthy. I 've owned females in the past 20 years + never had one get egg bound ....spaying is only done in extreme circumstances, not at all common. Try not to worry . :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They all have the ability to lay infertile eggs. Some will lay eggs the first year, some won't. They are all different. The signs to look for [ in general ] in an adult female is that they can become restless, digging incessantly and at the same time they may go from eating everything you offer [ especially live food ] to not eating at all and they may be fatter than usual. Sometimes you can even see the " lumps" on their side of the belly from the eggs, but that's not always the case, and you can't always feel the eggs either. So there are some signs to watch for, but if she's a baby then it will be a long time before you have to think about that. Oh, and your pics still aren't showing. You have to load them to a site like Photobucket or Tinypic , then copy/paste the IMG code here.

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm not uploading any pics. That's just my signature that's not working because I moved the photo

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I got him on Friday and so far HE is doing well. He is eating his dubia and his greens too. I did a diy fecal to see if he had parasites before I let him play with Riley and they were together all day. I named him Copper because of his colors. Copper was basking on riley's back yesterday I have a bunch of pictures. It's so cute. He is still getting used to being held but doing a whole lot better than he was when he first got here

Southpaw

Riley is a good looking dragon. I would be worried that the lil' one would become a snack. But I am a worry magnet :roll:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Riley is a big good looking boy, and your new little one is a cutie ! I have to agree with the other poster though, that is so very dangerous to have Copper with Riley. Please believe me that Riley can and probably will try to bite and even eat Copper....no joke. It's as dangerous as playing Russian roulette. Riley may be calm + docile one minute and then turn. Any long time breeder will tell you the same....so, just a head's up for you. I hope Copper does well in his new home though !

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I only have them together when I am right there watching them. Copper is about 10 inches long and riley is 18. I feel like Copper would bee too big to him to be a snack? I would never leave them alone unattended. I made sure I was sitting in front of the tank while they were together. Copper looks smaller than he is. It's making it hard for me to estimate an age of him.

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She said it was a pastel but the colors look very vibrant. Does anyone have a slight idea what kind he is by these pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom