Help, I have two beardies with servere gout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought two beardies (siblings) from a breeder last January. Both have since developed gout. I have taken them the vet, who had some human gout meds diluted for me, but they didn't seem to help much. She suggested euthanizing if they don't get better. The male who is a month older is doing pretty well, he loves to eat, his joints haven't gotten too much bigger, but he is aggressive, Im not sure if its due to the pain? The little female is tiny, refuses to bask, refuses to eat, her joint are huge looking and seem very painful.

The set ups:
They are housed separately, in 29g tanks -which need to be upgraded soon.
They are on tile
They have wood basking logs
They eat collards and dubia and superworms
They both have reptisun 10.0 bulbs and basking temps of 100 on the hot side and 60 on the cool.

I honestly just don't have the resources for the extensive care that they really need, especially the young female.
I knew exactly what I was getting into when I purchased the dragons, Ive had dragons before, I just wasn't prepared for sick dragons.
I feel awful as it is so please withhold any harsh rude comments.
But I would like to find someone who has more resources (time, money, and better herp vet) that would be willing to take them on and give them the best life possible. I'm currently in college for pre-veterinary medicine and working at petsmart. I really do care about them, I just think that I cant give them what they need.
I'm located in Columbia Mo.
Please any advice would be appreciated.

Do you guys have any suggestions on rescues that are really really good, I want the best for them.

Thank you

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Did you give them allopurinol? That whats mine is on and I give him black cherry juice( found in a health food store). All that should help with breaking down the crystals. He needs to take that everyday or he can have liver failure. I also give milk thistle to help with the liver.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would try lowering their basking areas to limit how much they need to climb, as that may cause pain at their joints. Gout is manageable to an extent. I would start with administering some black cherry extract as a home style treatment. There are also some medications such as Allopurinol which can be prescribed by a vet, but I don't suggest using any of those until an experienced reptile vet has checked them out properly. Are there any vets in your veterinary program who can take a look at them for you? I've found that veterinary programs have some excellent resources available.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which gout medication was given, what was the dose for them & do you know the strength of the solution? How long have they been on them?
As suggested, you can also use black cherry extract for them to help with uric acid build up too.
Would you happen to have any pictures of them?

It does take some time for the meds to start working though.
I would increase the temperatures on the cooler end though to around a 78-82 range, instead of 60.
That is great you are in school for pre-vet study, that should be rewarding for you. I understand, caring for ill dragons is a lot of work!

Tracie

skifflexie

Original Poster
Rogue, the male, is still doing great, he has physical signs of gout any more and has been off medication for a while. The small female (Calypso) didn't make it :( she passed away.

Rogue is still pretty aggressive, he lunges at me, trying to bite, and if I pick him up with a towel he will whip his tail like crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom