Help on rescued bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought this dragon about 2 hours ago. It was a long 1 hour drive home. He is not in very good shape. He has 2 toes on each of his back legs bitten off and a different looking tail which seems to be shorter than normal, and it has also been bitten. His name is Jeffrey, he is a gorgeous orange colour but you can't really see it in the photos. The previous owner told me he has been sleeping a lot and hasn't been eating much because it's winter. I don't believe that seeing as though my other dragon has been eating fine during winter. He slept for about 20 minutes on my lap in the car, then when I got home I fed him 2 superworms. He is currently in my old 2 ft tank, this is temporary. I have a 50 watt heat lamp and the normal UVB I had for my other dragon when he had that tank. I planned to bath him tonight but he seems really tired and I don't want him to be stressed. I have fresh veggies and water in the tank, along with a hide that I made from two bricks and a piece of wood for the top, with a rock and some driftwood. Is there anything I can do for him? He is very skinny but I cannot get him to eat a lot. After he stays in the tank for a bit will he want to eat because he will be warm? I dont think the other owner had a heat lamp for him, and he didn't seem bothered with being cold on the way home. Will I be able to feed him a lot tomorrow? When I was feeding him the superworms it took him a while to notice what they were. Right now he is in the hide scratching at the side of the tank, I think he's digging but he's been doing it for about 20 minutes. Could he be stressed out? Any help would be appreciated :)
11qn11u.jpg

200yyko.jpg

bhm24o.jpg

2v2wri1.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Becky...he's a pretty boy. :) Actually he doesn't appear to be bad at all. Tail + toe nips, once healed as those are, are just cosmetic....nothing to worry about. That happens fairly often to babies that are raised together. He is a bit thin, but if you look at the base of his tail [ from what I can see ] it is thick enough to tell you that he's not overly thin. His back legs have a decent meatiness as well. :) Give him some time to settle in, try a bath in a day or two, and don't be surprised if he doesn't eat too much at first. That's pretty normal with re location stress. By the way, where are you located that it's winter ?

beckydewar

Original Poster
I'm in Australia and it is currently in the middle of winter. I ended up giving him a bath last night and after it, there was a fair bit of sand or dirt in the bottom of the sink. It's morning now and he is drying off from his second bath right now :) there was sand in the bottom of the sink again, but not as much. Tried offering him some more superworms but he wouldn't take one. He eyed one off for a minute but that was all I got. I also tried offering some bok choy and some cabbage but he wouldn't take any of that either

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It will likely take several warm baths to get the dirt/crust off. If you can get some mild castile soap, that should help a bit too. Keeping him clean will go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom