Rescue, sick or brumating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgolden4958

We rescued a bearded dragon from a guy who really wasn't taking care of him, he didn't have a UVB, the guy was feeding him STINKBUGS when they were populous, and he never cleaned the cage (I know because I did and there is absolutely no way). Those are just some of the worse things he did. We brought him home and I gave him a bath right before putting him in the tank and he seemed alright (his front right leg has limited mobility) but yesterday and today he's been going in his hide and burrowing a little spot and just sleeping. The bath seemed to help yesterday and made him poop just a tiny bit but that was the only poop he's taken. Should I keep giving him baths every day? He's eating normally but he won't bask and I'm afraid he's got something wrong with him. The guy we got him from told me he was a year but when my fiancé emailed him he said he's had him for 4 years. Until I can take him to the vet I need suggestions so I can make him feel a little better.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Wow. He is so fortunate that you took him home. Yes, continue the baths daily. He's probably dehydrated. Will he take any water via syringe? I'm just guessing here, but he probably is not used to the lights.What do you have for UVB and basking for him?

I would take him out in the sun. If you are able to sit and hold him, that would be good. If you need to put him in an enclosure, please use a plastic tub. The glass tanks will cook them. Make sure he can get into the shade if he wants, with a towel over the top, or something.

Please let us know how he is doing. He may just be having some location stress and may be tired and is taking a nap. I have one that will periodically stick his head under his blankie and sleep all day.

jgolden4958

Original Poster
We took him out in the sun and held him for a while and I've been giving him baths everyday. I tried to give him water with a needle less syringe but he won't open his mouth and I don't want to force it open. How can I do it without hurting him?

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Try parting his lips gently at the side of his mouth so you can get a few drops in. Once he knows what it is, he might take some. You might also want to try flavoring the water with unsweetened juice. I put collard greens, along with other things specific to my dragons, into the blender with some water. I put it through the strainer and feed via syringe. They love it! Good luck! Let us know if you're successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom