Would like input about rescuing a beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgolden4958

We were looking through Craigslist pets (like we do everyday just for fun) and we came across a person in our area selling a male beardie with the whole setup. The first sign that he was being mistreated was that in the description he claimed that his beardie "loves lettuce". The pictures showed him with a red night light, so I'm sure he hasn't had a good nights worth of sleep his whole life. From his pictures he looked to be about 6 months old or around there (our one is 7 months and he looked to be around there). So I text messaged him. He said that he's around a year old, much to my surprise. He has to be severely malnourished in order to be as small as he is. I asked him what he feeds him and he said kale mealworms and crickets. He doesn't have a uv light on him and I assume he never has. I feel really bad for the poor little guy but I don't want to get in over my head with issues. How bad could his health be if he's never had uv and how hard will it be to get him to start eating more nutritionally? I SO BADLY wanted to tell him off but had to restrain myself in case we do end up getting him.

It depends what youre up for. I am fostering a little 4 month old beardie who just doesn't want to eat or drink. I have to drip feed her water mixed with a bit of CGD just to get her to drink. I also just ordered 25 dollars in appetite boosters and nutrition supplements. For that beardie you will have to get a strong UVB because of possible metallic bone disease. Supplements of calcium for the possible MBD is a must-and I'm not talking about the dusted crickets. Phoenix worms if you want the chance of reversing MBD effects. Plus the factor that you don't know the temperament, and he could have other health problems as well as having problems walking if he does have MBD. Personally, I would go for it. That stuff isn't that
expensive and at least you know what you're doing. Since he is youngish you still have a good chance at making him as good as new. Whatever you want to do-but also think about the person who would end up getting it and not knowing what to do. Good luck and email me at [email protected] if you want me to go into more details or help you out if you do get him. If you have an instagram you can see my beardies also @ fandomherps . Keep me updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom