MBD rescue help

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshleyChailyn

Hey all! Brand new to the forum, reddit sent me here. I have a beardie I rescued maybe two months ago. I found him on Craigslist and drove two hours to get him, I could tell from his picture he was in bad shape. They had him on pea gravel, no UV light, and a small heat light that does nothing in his 40gal tank. When I cleaned it out I found old food, soda tabs, small toys, ect under all the wet gravel. He is now in a large homemade enclosure, with an mvb and repticarpet over tile. They were feeding him jars of freeze dried grasshoppers (flukers).

I bathed him everyday for a while as he was seriously dehydrated, started him on live crickets, and syringe fed him repti-aid. When I got him he wasn't mobile at all, he just literally flopped around. Now he is regaining weight (181g now) and crawls. I just got him to actually eat some tiny dubias, and he eats baby food for vegetables.

He obviously has/had a bad case of mbd. He has the jaw deformity, no teeth, spinal deformity, and while he can crawl, he cant lift his belly off the ground.

His weight has fluctuated a lot. Original was around 145, then slowly climbed to 190. Back down to 160… now he's back up to 180. I'm also concerned about his enclosure. Right now there is really nothing in it. I have the light now on one side since he can't climb, and the temps on the hot and cool side are good. But he just lays there all day. I'm wondering if it's from lack of things to climb on in his cage? But how do I make something safe for him? He has been really cranky lately as well. Eating just fine but he doesn't poop very often (never has) and now he opens his mouth like he is threatened when ever I open the cage... Any ideas?

Also I'm on my phone, how do I post pics?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor little guy. Probably doesn't realize what to do with proper care and gentile handling. =( I'm really glad he found his way to a good home. Now he has a fighting chance. You can upload pictures from your phone by going to tinypic.com in the browser and uploading photos. Copy the url with the img tag and post it here.

Pushkin

Juvie Member
It breaks my heart to hear so many sad stories like this one. I just can't imagine getting an animal and letting it suffer like that! It's torture. I'm so glad that you found him and are helping him recover!
Given his past history with his previous owners, I doubt he has a lot of trust in people. He is probably just scared… I wish I had some advice for you, but I've never done anything like this before! I hope that things turn out well for him and you, though!

AshleyChailyn

Original Poster
wrl3k7.jpg

This is the picture from Craigslist. Advertised as a healthy sweet dragon who loved to be held.

t0njmo.jpg

This is a fairly recent pic of him now

Thanks for the help on posting lol

AshleyChailyn

Original Poster
Oh gosh I know! When I originally saw him, in afraid I came off too pushy and the owner stopped texting me back. So when I saw him again about a month later, I couldn't believe he was still alive and I knew I had to get him. So I was nice, met up with her and managed to hold my tongue. Forked over the best sixty bucks I ever spent and brought him home.
vqisye.jpg

I converted an old console TV into a cage for him. This pic is before I finished the decorative rock wall. But any suggestions on making it better for him? A friend suggested building a lowish platform with a ledge to deter him from jumping, with a ramp, and memory foam topper under the carpet in case he does jump. Any thoughts?
21mul91.jpg

Also, his name is Raphael :)
And this cute little bugger with the sexy legs
2wh42so.jpg

Is Michelangelo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom