Another case of classroom dragon neglect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momswims1

Juvie Member
My 11th grade son went to meet his science teacher for next year this morning. When I picked him up this afternoon he was shaking with anger and was in tears. Yet another poor little dragon in a tiny tank WITH a turtle.
You guessed it. No UVB, no heat lamp, filthy water and no food. the teacher was already gone for the day or I would have asked him for it immediately.
My son lost all respect for this man and will not have him for science next year!

What can we do? I am a teacher too, at another school and I can't afford to care for a sick dragon and the three I already have, but his animal is suffering. If I can talk him in to giving it to us, is there a reptile rescue anywhere around Spring Hill, Florida?
I will take it until it can be placed. It needs immediate care. Poor little thing must be suffering, and the little turtle, too.

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
Hah! A science teacher of all people! WOW.
Can you educate him, and maybe even encourage him to either house him correctly, or talk to the principal, or both? Advise the principal that it is considered animal endangerment and animal neglect. You've got nothing to lose if you are going to also insist that your son not be placed with that teacher.

10 years ago, I could say, "Okay, but there is not much access to information, except through word of mouth or books, and SOME internet info". But today, there is NO excuse and I mean *NO* excuse for ANYONE not to have proper information at their fingertips for ANYTHING, especially a living, breathing animal! Well, there is one excuse. The only excuse would be if someone does not use the internet often or does not consider the internet to research something, but not him.

He is a teacher. He would expect his students to investigate and know proper procedures and information for anything he would expect his students to do in class. HE would EXPECT his students to research things on the internet He needs to be held accountable for the same. I would go to the principal and explain it to the principal exactly in that way. Honestly, I get so tired of those who are supposed to know stuff about animals (science teachers, pet stores), being completely uneducated, incapable, uninterested, and unwilling to learn. It's as if they do not see lizards as actual animals. They are a sub-creature. I never really gave it much thought myself, but after owning one, I now know that they have feelings and can grow attachments, and certainly know what it's like to be neglected. People who are supposed to be advocates for animals have to stop doing this crap.
Grade: F for not even trying!

Please consider going to the principal on this. I suspect the principal will have less empathy for the reptiles than the "science" teacher does. But it's worth a shot. Somebody has to speak up for these guys. They have no choice and no voice of their own. We are the only ones that can make a difference in their lives.

Momswims1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I am a teacher, too, at another school thankfully, but this guy is an embarrassment. You are exactly right about us expecting our students to do their research and this guy treats this beardie and turtle this way?
I think the way I am going to approach it is through the principal and make my case that these animals are in danger and the filth they are living in is a danger to any of his science students that may try to handle the animals.
If I can get it surrendered to me, I will have a lot of work on my hands cleaning it, keeping it quarantined from my other three, and nursing it back to health, but I have to try.

Momswims1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Update:
My response from the shool came today....

They said that the teacher who has a bearded dragon and a turtle together in a filthy viv with no uvb is a reptile expert. That's it. Not sure what to do now. I feel so bad for these animals.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. It's so sad that people have pets and have no idea on how to care for them. Then you try to make the situation better and other people don't care or know any better and give you the big blow off just cause this teacher is a "reptile expert". Obviously non of them are and the dragon and the turtle are both suffering from the stupidity of these people. I really hope they reconsider and let you give that poor guy a good home.

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
Momswims1":bkttmc74 said:
Update:
My response from the shool came today....

They said that the teacher who has a bearded dragon and a turtle together in a filthy viv with no uvb is a reptile expert. That's it. Not sure what to do now. I feel so bad for these animals.

WOW! Un-freakin-believable!
I would then print out a care guide from the internet. That's just sad, that the teacher is a "science" teacher, that the school claims he is a "reptile expert" and that the animals are so poorly treated...all of it is just sad. I was hoping you would get better results. I at least expected something along the lines of "thanks. We will be looking in to it" even if they don't. But to flat out say that he is a "reptile expert" and then to close the door on anything further whatsoever...WOW. That's all kinds of wrong.

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
destiny1998":2n4j2lcn said:
Hi. It's so sad that people have pets and have no idea on how to care for them. Then you try to make the situation better and other people don't care or know any better and give you the big blow off just cause this teacher is a "reptile expert". Obviously non of them are and the dragon and the turtle are both suffering from the stupidity of these people. I really hope they reconsider and let you give that poor guy a good home.

One more case of people viewing cold blooded animals as "lesser than". The more I know, the more I see this to be the norm.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Exactly! My sister in law thinks we are crazy for having 3 beardies. She's called them odd ball pets for odd ball brother. And our first beardie Daizy was lost outside for 6 weeks. Luckily we found her , but while she was gone his sister was "It's just a lizard" attitude. Just cuz they're not furry doesn't mean they don't have feelings and you can't love them. Reptiles in general are just misunderstood. My husband is always saying " best pet he's ever had". I'm definitely a beardie addict. :D

Momswims1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I agree. If a dog were found in these deplorable conditions, the owner would be arrested. Such a dichotomy. I did send a care sheet but have not heard back. I wonder whAt will happen to the turtle and dragon now that school is out. I can't stop thinking about them.

I get so sad when I see this type of neglect. I personally have 5 bearded dragons at home I had purchased one 6 years ago after spending a grate deal of time with my hobby of raising/breading chameleons. some of witch far more rare then others. However the more time I began to spend with my beardie izzy I spent less time breeding my other lizards. I spent hours upon hours researching more and more. I never buy any animal not knowing everything I am able to find on them. and to add to that I am very extreme when it comes to continuing my knowledge as well as presenting a habatate as close to there natural inviroment as it can get. so stoping my breading with the chameleons, a woman in town at a pet store I supply crickets to contacted me to inform me that a man had brought in two bearded draggons. informed me they needed to be adopted. even tho my lovley wife laughs of my obsession with reptiles I refused to let them go to a home were people would not give them what they deserve. upon arriving at the pet store my heart sunk. both were very very astonishing in color one of witch was a trans orange brighter then most I have ever seen and the other was a male who was a very dark purple with light yellowish side bars. unfortunitly when I obtained them I relised the owner had not known how to take care of them. both were very male nourished as well as covered in yellow fungus. my heart droped when I seen them. I knew because of how bad both were it was going to take lots of work. however within a month the male had a complete recovery and became nice and plump he is still with me today and loving life. he has also produced some beautiful babys with my orange translusent I have. the other sadly did not survive the yellow fungus, it eventuly took her life sadly. sence then I have had many as well as baby's. all the adulys I have are adopted and saved from there original owners. not to futhur drag on the topic however people who don't wish to learn first or take the life serious should never obtain any pet. just as a child it is a life. one that should be spoiled and cared for. and if you do not have the time to play with them and give them affection save your money.

Momswims1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
My son, 16, tried one last time today, on the last day of school, to talk to the guy about it, but he was angry and said that he was taking the turtle and dragon home, in the same viv, and that was the end of it.
My son is afraid that this guy is going to dispise him now, but I told him that he did the right thing in speaking up for little animals that can't speak for themselves. Who cares if the teacher does not like him now. I am proud of him. He tried. We both did.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Thats ridiculous that a teacher would act like a child when someone was just trying to help. Your son did the right thing! He's definitely more mature than the "reptile expert". At least you guys tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom