mystery rescue !

Status
Not open for further replies.

plantkisser

Hatchling Member
hey yall, just thought id let everybody know that this afternoon i will be picking up a rescue!! she is estimated 2yrs but may have stunted growth and likely mbd, as from what i understand she never had calcium or uvb and was only eating once a week!!!! :angry5: talk about somebody not knowing how to care for a pet. anyways, ill be sure to post pictures as soon as i get her. havent seen her yet, so i have no idea what shape shell be in. just taking her off of a teachers hands.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
plantkisser":2t3sdd2i said:
hey yall, just thought id let everybody know that this afternoon i will be picking up a rescue!! she is estimated 2yrs but may have stunted growth and likely mbd, as from what i understand she never had calcium or uvb and was only eating once a week!!!! :angry5: talk about somebody not knowing how to care for a pet. anyways, ill be sure to post pictures as soon as i get her. havent seen her yet, so i have no idea what shape shell be in. just taking her off of a teachers hands.

Yay! Glad that you will be able to try and help her! It's so frustrating. I can understand not knowing the best way to take care of a BD, but you should research and see what you are getting into before you buy! Since a teacher had it, I'm assuming that it's a classroom pet? I love reptiles, but they are hard work; luckily, this site has a lot of members who can share their knowledge! Post some pics!

plantkisser

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
wow! she (?) just got dropped off about twenty minutes ago and i am pretty appalled. i had never seen her before, just heard about her, but i am so so glad i offered to take her... she was living in total neglect.

IMG_1374_zps4090510b.jpg

this was her tank- yes it is full of about 30+ crickets that are WAY too big for her. Also full of stinky water, poop, and that gross red pellet food.

she is supposed to be 2 years old, but she really isnt much bigger than my baby dragon... she also pretty clearly has mbd. her jaw is kinda funky looking, and she has a pretty horrible limp.
IMG_1373_zpsfc5352d5.jpg
(by the way, do her eyes look weird? anybody know whats going on there?)
IMG_1376_zps90121494.jpg

she also has a bit of her tail missing. sad for this baby but i hope to get her well taken care of. i gave her a warm bath and she drank so much! i was impressed. i also tried to feed her some greens but she didn't seem hungry. im gonna hold off until crickets until she gets warmed up.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
I house my crickets separately. I have a large rubbermaid tub (I am ordering them online in the 100s) and a small Cricket Keeper. Basically, I refill the Keeper from the tub, as needed.

I hate crickets. I never knew much about them before, but I really, really, really don't like them. They are dirty (and loud when you get to the larger/older ones, I've been told) and a pain, but I deal with them for the sake of Smaug. I can't imagine keeping the crickets in there with the BD - what were they thinking? Bet they annoyed the heck out of that BD!

plantkisser

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
jenn4turtles":1hxzupgk said:
I house my crickets separately. I have a large rubbermaid tub (I am ordering them online in the 100s) and a small Cricket Keeper. Basically, I refill the Keeper from the tub, as needed.

I hate crickets. I never knew much about them before, but I really, really, really don't like them. They are dirty (and loud when you get to the larger/older ones, I've been told) and a pain, but I deal with them for the sake of Smaug. I can't imagine keeping the crickets in there with the BD - what were they thinking? Bet they annoyed the heck out of that BD!

i do the same thing with my crickets- big rubbermaid tub, buy them by the hundred. im super afraid of them, but i deal for the babies. as for having so many in there with her, i was angry!!!! poor thing has a few places where it looks like they tried to munch on her, and her tank smelled so gross that i put her in a different one.... totally gross.

Enyalius11

good lord, whats the matter with people? Internet, pet stores, libraries, bah! NO excuse for this kind of ignorance! :banghead:

Pushkin

Juvie Member
She is tiiiiny! I can only imagine how much neglect she has experienced to be that small. :( Horrible. Thanks for taking care of her!

plantkisser

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Pushkin":jh5uppek said:
She is tiiiiny! I can only imagine how much neglect she has experienced to be that small. :( Horrible. Thanks for taking care of her!
Thank you!!!! And yes he (I found out very recently that it's a boy!!) is little!! But he is growing so fast he can't seem to finish one shed before starting another!!
after1_zps81d4ad4f.jpg

Here he is as of a few weeks ago, he has got quite the attitude!! :blob5: :D

plantkisser

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ParkerandMe":e19v42mo said:
I'm so glad you rescued him! How's he doing?
Thank you, me too!! He is doing great. I just switched him from crickets to dubia roaches and he loves those!! I found out he is missing some of his teeth but he deals just fine. He is for sure putting on some more weight and he has not stopped shedding forever- he can't finish one shed before he starts another one!! He is really a great little guy :D :D

plantkisser

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
sue09":51pb2qi3 said:
How is your little one doing now? hope all is well Sue.

Hello, he is doing great thank you for asking!! He is the best eater I have ever seen and he is getting an upgrade to a bigger tank soon as he no longer has problems walking!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom