mystery rescue !

Status
Not open for further replies.

plantkisser

Hatchling Member
hey yall, just thought id let everybody know that this afternoon i will be picking up a rescue!! she is estimated 2yrs but may have stunted growth and likely mbd, as from what i understand she never had calcium or uvb and was only eating once a week!!!! :angry5: talk about somebody not knowing how to care for a pet. anyways, ill be sure to post pictures as soon as i get her. havent seen her yet, so i have no idea what shape shell be in. just taking her off of a teachers hands.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
plantkisser":2t3sdd2i said:
hey yall, just thought id let everybody know that this afternoon i will be picking up a rescue!! she is estimated 2yrs but may have stunted growth and likely mbd, as from what i understand she never had calcium or uvb and was only eating once a week!!!! :angry5: talk about somebody not knowing how to care for a pet. anyways, ill be sure to post pictures as soon as i get her. havent seen her yet, so i have no idea what shape shell be in. just taking her off of a teachers hands.

Yay! Glad that you will be able to try and help her! It's so frustrating. I can understand not knowing the best way to take care of a BD, but you should research and see what you are getting into before you buy! Since a teacher had it, I'm assuming that it's a classroom pet? I love reptiles, but they are hard work; luckily, this site has a lot of members who can share their knowledge! Post some pics!

plantkisser

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
wow! she (?) just got dropped off about twenty minutes ago and i am pretty appalled. i had never seen her before, just heard about her, but i am so so glad i offered to take her... she was living in total neglect.

IMG_1374_zps4090510b.jpg

this was her tank- yes it is full of about 30+ crickets that are WAY too big for her. Also full of stinky water, poop, and that gross red pellet food.

she is supposed to be 2 years old, but she really isnt much bigger than my baby dragon... she also pretty clearly has mbd. her jaw is kinda funky looking, and she has a pretty horrible limp.
IMG_1373_zpsfc5352d5.jpg
(by the way, do her eyes look weird? anybody know whats going on there?)
IMG_1376_zps90121494.jpg

she also has a bit of her tail missing. sad for this baby but i hope to get her well taken care of. i gave her a warm bath and she drank so much! i was impressed. i also tried to feed her some greens but she didn't seem hungry. im gonna hold off until crickets until she gets warmed up.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
I house my crickets separately. I have a large rubbermaid tub (I am ordering them online in the 100s) and a small Cricket Keeper. Basically, I refill the Keeper from the tub, as needed.

I hate crickets. I never knew much about them before, but I really, really, really don't like them. They are dirty (and loud when you get to the larger/older ones, I've been told) and a pain, but I deal with them for the sake of Smaug. I can't imagine keeping the crickets in there with the BD - what were they thinking? Bet they annoyed the heck out of that BD!

plantkisser

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
jenn4turtles":1hxzupgk said:
I house my crickets separately. I have a large rubbermaid tub (I am ordering them online in the 100s) and a small Cricket Keeper. Basically, I refill the Keeper from the tub, as needed.

I hate crickets. I never knew much about them before, but I really, really, really don't like them. They are dirty (and loud when you get to the larger/older ones, I've been told) and a pain, but I deal with them for the sake of Smaug. I can't imagine keeping the crickets in there with the BD - what were they thinking? Bet they annoyed the heck out of that BD!

i do the same thing with my crickets- big rubbermaid tub, buy them by the hundred. im super afraid of them, but i deal for the babies. as for having so many in there with her, i was angry!!!! poor thing has a few places where it looks like they tried to munch on her, and her tank smelled so gross that i put her in a different one.... totally gross.

Enyalius11

good lord, whats the matter with people? Internet, pet stores, libraries, bah! NO excuse for this kind of ignorance! :banghead:

Pushkin

Juvie Member
She is tiiiiny! I can only imagine how much neglect she has experienced to be that small. :( Horrible. Thanks for taking care of her!

plantkisser

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Pushkin":jh5uppek said:
She is tiiiiny! I can only imagine how much neglect she has experienced to be that small. :( Horrible. Thanks for taking care of her!
Thank you!!!! And yes he (I found out very recently that it's a boy!!) is little!! But he is growing so fast he can't seem to finish one shed before starting another!!
after1_zps81d4ad4f.jpg

Here he is as of a few weeks ago, he has got quite the attitude!! :blob5: :D

plantkisser

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ParkerandMe":e19v42mo said:
I'm so glad you rescued him! How's he doing?
Thank you, me too!! He is doing great. I just switched him from crickets to dubia roaches and he loves those!! I found out he is missing some of his teeth but he deals just fine. He is for sure putting on some more weight and he has not stopped shedding forever- he can't finish one shed before he starts another one!! He is really a great little guy :D :D

plantkisser

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
sue09":51pb2qi3 said:
How is your little one doing now? hope all is well Sue.

Hello, he is doing great thank you for asking!! He is the best eater I have ever seen and he is getting an upgrade to a bigger tank soon as he no longer has problems walking!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom