2 year old beardie from a shop that has a bad rep

Status
Not open for further replies.

naelaeril

Hi, my names Melissa, and my bearded dragons name is Baha, we got him on May 4th and im finding out we should have researched alot more before bringing him home! So many questions and hes begun puffing at me which happened after i brought him out of his habitat for a half hour then put him back. Hes seemingly eating fine, loved his apples and crickets. My fiance said he was in his water dish once but we havent seen him back in it since. Hes literally the center of attention in our living room but we are starting to think our 2 year old daughter is causing him stress. I tried giving him worms the pet store recommended as a treat to see if hed be okay with me again, but sadly he was ok while i gave them to him but once he was done eating he puffed at me :( he doesnt puff at my daughter or fiance whenever they walk by or look into his habitat.. I read that the reptibark is bad for them and can seriously hurt or kill them so we got other stuff thats safe but i dont want to bother him or try picking him up while hes puffed..Also is it normal for them to focus on one person in a household? out of the three of us here he watches me very closely and moves if i walk into the kitchen so he can keep watching me. Should I let him settle in his habitat and leave him be? I did mist him with water he seemed to like it but then stood up on his front feet and showed his neck to me.. I thought he was angry so i stopped... My minds going nuts on if hes okay or if its just him being mad... I know this is alot of information and im sorry im just going bonkers lol :(

naelaeril

Original Poster
972921_874859742540318_1056117263_n.jpg

sue09

Hatchling Member
Congrats on getting your beardie,he really does need time to get used to his new home. He will get used to you gradually so dont worry to much,aslong as he is eating just give him time. Good luck with him. :)

Never worry about there eating! He will eat when he is ready and beardys will eat pretty much anything! If your unsure ask away.and I agree you have to let him settle and don't be afraid to keep handling him my son who is coming four has been around lizards since birth and so have I so it is important that your daughter and lizard to know each other.try him on the large locusts maybe he is wanting to tackle something more as he is getting older

Also I use reptile bark and I know my family also have for over twenty year it is fine..some may disagree but we have never had any problems.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Any lose subtrate is not recommended as it harbors bacteria and can cause impaction. The subtrate most use on here is tile as it keeps their nails filed and its easy to clean. You can also use paper towels, newspapers, non adhesive shelfliner. Congratulations hes a nice looking dragon :D

Give him time to adjust. We just got another one the other day and she isnt overly happy at the moment. She was very calm and loving in the store, but still getting settled at my house. I think my younger male across the room is causing her to be a little anxious too, but even he was skittish as a baby and would run from us all the time. Just gotta leave them alone for a week or two to get settled and start handling them as they let you to build the relationship up

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Sounds like he just needs time to adjust. :) Let him settle in and he should start eating after a few days.

Loose substrate is not inherently evil, and for some keepers it is easier to keep the cage clean with a loose substrate rather than a solid surface. You may want to stick to prey items that can be fed in a dish, though, such as dubia roaches or superworms, as that way there's little to no risk of your beardie eating the substrate.

Misting him from time to time can help him lick up water and stay hydrated, although a soak in some warm water is often considered more helpful.

Good luck with him, I'm sure he'll settle in and be just fine. :)

-Jen

naelaeril

Original Poster
well im very glad to hear his bedding can be okay, ive seen him eat off the bark and hes only gotten crickets he didnt get the reptibark at all.. my fiance handled him while i was at work tonight and all Baha did was puff up.. Hasnt hissed though that weve heard.. Now that im home from work all he is doing is sitting at the very tip of his log at the top of his cage sleeping. Should we still handle him even though he is puffing up? He doesnt seem to puff when my daughter goes up next to his cage either. its quite upsetting but i understand hes stressed from coming home. We havent put him in a bath at all, ive misted him once, does it mean he likes it if he stands up on his front legs? he loves his crickets and yellow worms the pet store gave us. Oh and apples! but other than that he wont touch the dry food and i havent seen him step into his water bowl again :(

naelaeril

Original Poster
good news!! his tail has started to shed! he hasnt puffed today and hes sitting in his water dish and he looks at us and tilts his head again when we talk to him :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom