Lucy MBD help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteffMathes

Original Poster
I can't upload photos from my phone atm, but Lucy is doing fantastic! She is chasing after her crickets with vigor, eating a large salad every day, and is very active. We are going to have to upgrade her tank very soon! She is climbing and walking on her back legs very well. She pushes up with her front legs but still runs on her forearms. I am giving her the liquid calcium per her weight every day. I am so proud of her and her amazing progress. We are researching the materials we need and will be building her new home this month. :blob8:

kbro

Hatchling Member
That is great news, she put a smile on my face today. She came to you at the right time. It's so good to hear that she can chase after crickets now and climb around. Plus she is eating a lot of salad which is great. You must be so happy and proud. So she must like the calcium flavors then. I can't wait for pics I bet she looks so much happier now.

SteffMathes

Original Poster
Lol When I stacked up her rocks to give her a ramp to the top of her log, she looked as excited as a kid on Christmas morning. She spent a good long time climbing up and down over and over. She's also taken to burrowing and exploring under her paper towels. Also she occasionally climbs up her hammock, which is on her cool side. I love seeing her happy. She actually isn't fond of the calcium, and we've tried two flavors. I drop it onto her mouth and when she licks, I keep applying it to her tongue. Makes for a very irritated girl, but it's for her own good. :) We may try drops on the crickets we hand feed her.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
That is what I did for Geico, drop raspberry calcium onto the crickets till he realized he was getting the stuff and went off the crickets so I put it on his dubia and he went off them. I would then make a small slurry with veggies and raspberries and drop the calcium in there and feed him some of the slurry at various times during the day. I had to go back to dusting his crickets as he would not take the calcium drops on the crickets. I even tried injecting the crickets with calcium and NOPE he would not touch them. I put the drops in his mouth and he would open his mouth and the calcium would run out, He hated calcium under any circumstances but took the powder more readily so be prepared if yours hates the liquid and you try dropping it on the live prey.

SteffMathes

Original Poster
I will keep giving it to her as I am then, not on her crickets. Hopefully she will put up with it for at least a month.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Hi :)

I stumbled across this thread and just wanted you to know that you are doing an amazing job, and you are def not alone in rescuing and rehabilitating a dragon like sweet Lucy. A dragon with special needs changes your life - mine did, for the better. I have a thread on here that might be able to help you in any way shape or form - or at least give you comfort that this massive sad crazy awesome happy wild journey you and Lucy are on is soooooo worth it, as you already know by now ;)

If you like, here is my link - there are stories and pictures of before and after spanning several months of Lexis transition from her old life to her new life, just like Lucy is gaining a new life. There are some similarities ive noticed, pkus i just completely understsnd all the ups and downs and miracles and hard work ..... so I just thought i would share :)

Inspirational is what a rescue dragon is :)
I cant wait to read more on Lucy!!!!!!

https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=172688

Much love to you and Lucy!!!
- Em

FortheLoveofLizzie

Hatchling Member
You are a kind soul. Sounds like you have done some serious research. I have never had a reptile and an ill one sounds like quite a task. Please keep up the updates:)

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
I just came across your post and it sounds like you have everything under control. Thank you for taking her in. I went through this 8 months ago with my little girl Cassie, MBD so bad she scooted along on her belly, all her ribs were broke, she has no top teeth, her eyes and tongue were to big for her little head and no pelvic bone, and so skinny she was paper thin. 8 months later she is as healthy as can be, if you would like to read her story, here is the link to her face book page, https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-story-of-Cassie-the-little-beardie/660587277326915?ref=hl

The picture at the top is of her when it was posted on craigslist and when I got her.

SteffMathes

Original Poster
Sorry I haven't checked this forum in a while. I looked at both Lexis and Cassie... poor babies! I'm so glad they are getting better! Thank you for everyone's kind words. Lucy is doing absolutely fantastic! We love her so much, and I just love her curiosity and spunk :) I lost count on how many sheds she's gone through, and she is extremely active. We are switching her to a new habitat tomorrow. I came across a display case that is perfect with a couple changes. Her new home will be 4'x2'x2' with glass sliding doors and a screen top. I will be upgrading her light to a mercury vapor bulb and giving her a whole new terrain. Her paper towels will be replaced with sandstone tiles. It's exciting that we can move forward. Plus, we found a chameleon outside yesterday (I know, crazy!) So we have a new rescue, because he's too sweet to be wild (not that they're native here) and someone must have released him. So we made the leap for Lucy's new tank to make room for Elvis until we get him a new viv next weekend. Here's some pics of our Lucy baby :)

kbro

Hatchling Member
Wow what an improvement! I'm glad she is doing better, she is looking good. She will be happy in a bigger tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom