Found a beardie in yard today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband called me from work today saying he found a bearded dragon at a customer's house. He said it wasn't moving much. It got down to 34° last night and this baby was outside! I've owned water dragons but never bearded so I'm hoping I can be a good mommy to this baby! He said it's small. I've got an old fish tank I'm setting up now. i have to go get lights. He said he's got him in a big container and put him on the dash for a few minutes. He said he wasnt moving much, then called back and said ge was running around so I hope that is a good sign. I'm slightly overwhelmed with the idea of this rescue right now but we agreed we couldn't just leave him/ her outside! ! Any advice?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's rough! I hope the little guy is OK. If he's running around that's a good sign. I'd let him bask for a while both to warm up and also to get used to the new surroundings. Are you familiar with the proper tank setup and lighting for a dragon? I'll be happy to provide any information I can to help out!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Get him warmed up (not to quickly though) and make sure he gets hydrated. A warm bath might encourage him to drink. If he looks in rough shape (especially if skinny/dehydrated) I'd seek the advice of a reptile vet for a plan to get him in better shape.

athenaporter

Original Poster
I've spent the morning reading as much as i can about care. I'm going to be heading out to Petsmart after the kids get done eating. Will i be able to find the right lights there or do I need to find someplace else? I have a list of what I'll need. I'm used to dusting crickets from my water dragons but its been a few years so im pretty reptile rusty lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can get some of the stuff there, but they may not have exact brands (like an Arcadia or ReptiSun 10.0 UVB, IR Temp gun or good probe thermometer). They should have basking lamps, Repashy calcium plus, crickets, and basics like that to get you started. It varies store to store from what I've seen. The rest can easily be found on Amazon.

athenaporter

Original Poster
he sent me one picture when he first caught him but i cant figu out how to post it lol ive got in on instagram would the "copy share link" feature be good enough or is there a better way? I'm 27 but not tech savvy at all lol my place is in the woods not on this computer! lol http://instagram.com/p/m5RGNNOh8K/
(hes in a bigger container now!)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sleepy little guy. From the picture it looks like he's been fed pretty well. I wonder if he just escaped from a nearby house somehow. To post images, just take the URL for your photo (you can use places like photobucket or tinypic as well) and put it inbetween img tags. That should allow it to show up right in your post.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
If he has been outside, and not knowing how long he has been, he has probably been eating outside bugs. I would make an appointment with a reptile vet and have a fecal done for parasites and an overall wellness check. I would also get some baby food sweet potatoes and greens and introduce protein slowly till you are sure his kidneys are ok to process protiens. You can feed these to him through a syringe. You can slowly introduce baby food chicken and/or turkey for him to get protiens.

athenaporter

Original Poster
the little guy is home! we've got him all set up with lights, water, and hiding nook. I threw in a couple crickets but he doesn't seem interested. I know at least his right eye is ok because he did look over a couple times as they scurried passed. He's such a handsome guy! (or girl i guess?) My three year old has named him Teman.

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
Well, now that you're all excited about getting a BD, they DO make great pets. We've had ours for 6 weeks now, and he loves being held, and knows our voices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom