My first beardie rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rescued an adult male beardie on Saturday :D He seems to be in pretty good shape, although he is badly stained red from the sand he was kept on. He ate like a champ the night we brought him home and even tho he wasn't super happy about it did alright in his bath. He loves his huge viv, he has always been housed in a 20gal tank. But I do have some general questions because he's older and my other beardie is still a juvenile. On Saturday he ate like 20 dubias and 3 waxworms, yesterday he ate one dubia and 4 waxworms and a very small amount of salad, today nothing. My hubby said that he doesn't think that adult beardies eat nearly as much or as often as juvies and I shouldn't worry too much but I want this guy to eat and put on some weight he's a little on the scrawny side, but I also realize that he's not going to pig out like Reaper does lol. I'm also wondering about handling him. I know we need to give him time to adjust to his new home but he really acts like he wants to come out, and I feel like he should have another bath but I want to give him time and I def don't want to freak him out. I'm trying to get him an app to get checked out by vet just to be on the safe side but he is alert and running around alot he's WAY more active than Reaper, who is my lazy diva bum lol Just wondering if anyone who has done this before has any input or advice

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there.....congrats on your new beardie ! It sounds like he'll settle in just fine ! You'll want to take your time in letting him gain weight. Some hungry ones will stuff themselves + then feel sick, even vomiting. Just keep offering greens first, and live feeders can be offered daily in small amounts until he starts filling out. As you see that he's able to handle the bugs, then add a few more per feeding..No need to hurry...slow but sure is the way to go. You can also wait a while before a vet visit, that can be stressful, so as long as he's eating let him get used to his new life and maybe schedule a vet visit after a month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom