Do these girls look healthy? MN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShelbyLu

Hatchling Member
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/for/4170777659.html

I'm new to beardie family but already am very passionate about my dragons and their care. I'm pretty sure that rescues are in my future at some point because I can't stand the thought of any beardie being neglected. However I'm still learning to recognize when they are healthy or in need of care.

I peruse cl looking for dragons in desperate need just in case I can help. These ones arent in desperate need, but would you call them healthy? I feel like they don't quite look right. Like the skin is too baggy. Am I wrong? I've never had an adult before so I could be wrong?

I'm just trying to learn to identify signs, etc.

Shelby

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Shelby....it's nice that you're looking for beardies that need a home. Those 2 are in reasonably good condition, the way you can tell is that one of them is a senior citizen at 10 years of age. If you do get them, ask how they hydrated the girls....they look a bit dehydrated....and if they need more hydration, then don't go overboard because these beardies have lived a LONG time with certain habits, and changing anything quickly or drastically [ like if they only bathed them once a week, maybe do twice a week ] because changing too much too soon can shock them and cause stress. So EASE them into any changes in diet, etc. I see it looks like they are on crushed walnut, some beardies have died from impaction when they accidentally eat it, but it looks like they've been on it for years. You might not want to change that too quickly, let them get used to being in a new home. If you want to change to a different substrate, you might try children's playsand temporarily in part of the tank as a dig box [ I'm sure these girls would miss their substrate if you throw it out ] And partly on newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner or tile. Another basking log would be nice, too. Some people might say to separate them, but when they've been together that long and are old + mellow they may be best together. So....they do need a better diet + a few things, but the fact that one is 10 shows that they are quite well adjusted to their care, so make changes slowly, just add better greens like turnip, mustard , collard and don't add too many extra insects...other than that, they look decent. The 10 year old may only live another 1-3 years, but she'd be in a good home with you. !

ShelbyLu

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for that awesome info!

I don't intend to get these two, as I'm guessing they will find a good home. But I do always watch for ones that might be in a "must go now or bad things will happen" situation OR that look so neglected or miscared for that getting them right away to rehab them would be the best option.

But since I'm so new to this and my dragons are babies, I'm still learning to understand when I see a dragon which ones are okay and which ones are not. :)

Thanks again for taking the time to explain to me your thoughts. I appreciate it. :)

~Shelby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom