beardie rescue questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wzlqwen

Hello I have run into a situation that I am not completely sure the best way to handle with a bearded dragon that needs rescuing.
A little about myself.....I have a 2 year old beardie and most of my info for him comes from this site. I love him dearly and have no intentions of adding more BUT I can rescue one if needed. I actually run a ferret rescue, have done so for about 15 years. When I went to pick up a ferret this weekend I was asked f I would take a beardie too.
This poor beardie is 2 years old and extremely extremely small, maybe 6"-8" body length. He has a stump of a tail and missing a foot. He is in a 20 long tank, No UV, No calcium ( I asked), the tank temp, if the aquarium strip heater was correct was around 75 degrees, he is fed crickets, and had a red heat light, bowl of water, log and paper towel substrate. Keep in mind I only saw him for a few minutes, so I may have missed something. I would have taken him then and there but she would not give him to me in the aquarium, suggested I take him home in the pet taxi I brought for the ferret! The money output to set him up properly is the difficulty.....but I am looking at doing so I cannot help but think about him. She used to have 3 beardies, 2 much larger and that is how he lost his tail and foot. I just needed to talk with the hubby before I spend $150+ on a new animal.

If I go back and try and get him.... reasonably what am I looking at for him for the future. I can get the beardie basics, (my guy has his UV light, daylight bulb for basking, ceramic heater for winter heat, 40 gal breeder tank, tile on the floor, log, hide box, ramp, greens,(mustard, collard, kale) hornworms, roaches, calcium, D3, multi vitamins)
But what would this guy need to thrive? More then what a regular beardie gets at first? What to do to give him the best chance at a long, reasonably healthy life? I can go to the vet, fecals no prob, but I am in a smallish town no really experienced reptile vets, my vet is good....don't get me wrong but she is not a true reptile vet.

Thoughts please....I know what I am doing with ferret rescue, but this is not up my normal alley!
Daphne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom