BEARDIES NEED HELP AT A PETLAND WHAT SHOULD IDO???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I am really at a loss I went to my local petland the either day and well to make a long story shirt they are hatchlings and on sand a one climbing tree with one light I kno they are hatchlings because I went to petsmart and got my first bearded dragon about a month ago and they were a decent size the one I chose named hul is a pastel he had a blue number on his back and I remembered upon my research I found that a lot of reputible dealer Los use this system the babies at petland had no markings they will def take offense yo me saying anything but what should I do guys they need help

mrsphate

I don't understand what you are asking. Are you saying they need help because they haven't been marked? or because they are on sand? Maybe you can re state what you are saying.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Translation:
Guys I am really at a loss. I went to my local petland the other day and well, to make a long story short they have hatchlings on sand, only one climbing tree and only one light.
I know they are hatchlings because I went to petsmart and got my first bearded dragon about a month ago and they were a decent size. The one I choose named Hul is a pastel, he had a blue number on his back. I remembered upon my research I found that a lot of reputable dealer use this system. The babies at petland had no markings. They will definitely take offense to me saying anything but what should I do guys? They need help

Having a number does not mean they came from reputable dealer. No reputable breeder would ever sell babies wholesale to a petstore.
Most big petstores have a set of care rules set down by corporate and the employees can't change the care or they can get fired. Start by speaking with the store manager, if that doesn't work then you can email the corporate office with your concerns. You will need to write a polite letter outlining your concerns without attacking the company. Use good grammar and spelling.
It really hard to get petstores to change their care of animals though, I find it best to completely avoid the animal sections.

derekshawn

Original Poster
Yeah that sounds like the best thing I could do. An I'm on a smart phone most of the time that's why it's hard with the auto correct and everything. But thanks for the grammar lessons all. Ill try to make my posts more readable in the future.

dragonriot

Hatchling Member
Gail":35soayf5 said:
Translation:
Guys I am really at a loss. I went to my local petland the other day and well, to make a long story short they have hatchlings on sand, only one climbing tree and only one light.
I know they are hatchlings because I went to petsmart and got my first bearded dragon about a month ago and they were a decent size. The one I choose named Hul is a pastel, he had a blue number on his back. I remembered upon my research I found that a lot of reputable dealer use this system. The babies at petland had no markings. They will definitely take offense to me saying anything but what should I do guys? They need help

Having a number does not mean they came from reputable dealer. No reputable breeder would ever sell babies wholesale to a petstore.
Most big petstores have a set of care rules set down by corporate and the employees can't change the care or they can get fired. Start by speaking with the store manager, if that doesn't work then you can email the corporate office with your concerns. You will need to write a polite letter outlining your concerns without attacking the company. Use good grammar and spelling.
It really hard to get petstores to change their care of animals though, I find it best to completely avoid the animal sections.

That's not entirely true... When I was breeding, I had 70 babies at one time, and couldn't find people to buy them... I searched around to all the local pet stores to figure out which one had the best reptile care setups, and found one that had proper enclosures, lighting, feeding practices, and wasn't a chain store, and sold them half of my babies at $20 each... That store called me a month later to rescue an adult beardie that was too aggressive to sell to a normal customer. Some stores are very responsible when it comes to baby dragons, others are definitely not. My local Pet Warehouse also houses their baby dragons on sand, and I'd like to tell them they should be on newspaper, but other than the substrate, they are in a proper enclosure with good lighting and good food.

By the way, the remainder of my baby dragons went to Grossboy Exotics in Waterloo, and he took them to shows to sell.

As for the OPs situation, talk to the manager, suggest they do research on proper care of baby dragons, and remind them of the risk of impaction for all dragons when kept on sand and other solid materials. Remember also, that most stores care little about that risk, because their rate of turnover on baby dragons is alarmingly high... they pay $10-15 per dragon, and sell them for $60-100 per baby. They bulk order greens and crickets, so they are almost always making a profit. Their goal is to convince YOU the consumer to purchase their dragons as soon as possible, so they make the enclosures LOOK nice with little regard to the health of the animal. What would likely be best is that hard packed digging sand that you add water to and it turns hard like dried clay - but soft enough for them to dig holes and caves in - so that there is no loose material on the surface. As the dragons dig, you spray more water on the surface, and it rehardens just like powdered clay.

Also, for the rest of you, if you're a breeder with business cards, your suggestion will carry a lot more weight with the store managers when you make suggestions... I got an entire reptile department revamped when I was breeding, just because I was also selling the store Phoenix Worms.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Hey there! I'm not sure if it's just my area but each time I've corrected an employee on the set up of various reptiles, they've changed it within a day or so. Just last week a Petco we were visiting had a baby true fire skink and the set up was all wrong. We (husband and myself) explained that we owned 2 and one was in the same set up they had theirs in...which is why he's a little stunted and is missing toes.

They changed everything and wrote down all of the information right in front of us. I went back yesterday to visit my little friend and he was doing wonderful. I have certainly had a case where there was no choice but to start with corporate.

Anyway, just saying it isn't rude. Speak up and ask to see the manager. You may find one open to suggestion and you may not. The bottom line is, it can't hurt to share helpful information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom