Rockford rescue update!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooke74

Hatchling Member
I'll try my best, but I just recently got a new beardie and I don't know if my parents will allow me another.. I'll advertise around here as well and see if we can help the poor guy out.

jodavis10

Original Poster
I tried to contact the owner but havent had a response yet. I just noticed that the post is a few weeks old, so this poor thing might have already passed. I can take him in but i live in New Buffalo, MI which is a 6-7 hour round trip from Rockford. If we can get hold of the owner and there is someone willing to provide transport then i can take him. Im going to be near o'hare tomorow through Tuesday for work so i emailed the owner and asked if they would be willing to meet me. I will let you know if i hear back but keep asking around, if there is someone closer who can get him sooner maybe....

jodavis10

Original Poster
Im getting him (or her) tomorrow!! I already ordered my reptisun, so.hopefully that gets here quickly. I have a 2 hour drive home with him. Hoping the stress isng too much. Any tips for when I get him home? Im going to get him hydrated, and fed. I read not too much because his stomach might reject the food. I read baby food is good for their protein?? As opposed to crickets until he gers his weight up a bit?? a vet visit too this week......any tips you guys have would be great.

Annalee

Juvie Member
jodavis10":32j0yo1w said:
Im getting him (or her) tomorrow!! I already ordered my reptisun, so.hopefully that gets here quickly. I have a 2 hour drive home with him. Hoping the stress isng too much. Any tips for when I get him home? Im going to get him hydrated, and fed. I read not too much because his stomach might reject the food. I read baby food is good for their protein?? As opposed to crickets until he gers his weight up a bit?? a vet visit too this week......any tips you guys have would be great.

I have a beardie that was starved similarly.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=194667&start=60

If it doesn't start there for you, go to page 5. They gave me wonderful advise on feeding!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....nice of you to be giving this fellow a new life. :) He isn't really as bad as you may think, the way he has his head held high is actually a good sign, as opposed to laying flat with eyes closed. And although we can't see his entire body structure, his jaw, limbs , etc. seem to be aligned properly with no apparent signs of MBD. It might be good to let him settle in + gain a bit of weight before taking him to a vet who may give meds. that can ruin his appetite + stress him with daily meds. along with his already stressful move. His thinness may just be from a lack of food, and you can start him on insects right away, he's not so emaciated that he can't handle some juicy bugs. Just don't give him very many, just 4-5 at a time,. and be sure he's hydrated. Once you see that he's tolerating that many bugs, after a week you can increase the number. Offer veggies like yellow squash, turnip, mustard, collard + dandelion greens. Baby food will be O.K., especially if you add extra water + a bit of calcium powder so as to hydrate him more quickly. I think he will do fine.

jodavis10

Original Poster
He's home with me now and he isnt as bad in person as he looks in the picture. He's underweight at the moment but he's big and has cearly had good care at some point. The owner said he did have uvb and a heat lamp a while back but they couldnt afford to replace them when they burned out. He was in a 20 gal tank with a wooden hide/bridge and a bowl. I upgraded him to a 40, got a new basking platform and heat lamp set up. His uvb wont be here till Thursday. He ate some kale and a few crickets but wasnt overly interested. I gave him a bath and he did poop. I think he's going to do fine. My kids have decided ghat we are going to name him Thor.

I have been following this situation and am very pleased with your selfless successful efforts! Great job!
I learn so much by reading books, articles and on the appropriate forum online for each of my different species! I would make a suggestion to you as you add weight to Thor as you promote his health. I don't use Kale! I prefer Mustard Greens, Collards or Dandelion but not Kale! The "feeding" section on this forum explains it well but here is a helpful link to a world of detailed dietary guidelines you may find beneficial as you bring Thor back to health..... http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Thor is blessed to have you on the scene!
Bless,
Bill

jodavis10

Original Poster
Hi, thanks i will check it out....i try to feed a variety....I have dandelion and mustard greens too. My female loves kale the most so thats why i tried him on it first. When i put together my female's salads I put in all three. My female is a very picky eater and it took a while to figure out what she will eat and what she wont. She refuses to eat crickets, she just will not chase them and as much as i love her Im not ripping off their legs...so I have criks back in the house for the first time in a long time. Loki (my female) loves superworms and reptiworms.

I trust Thor is in great hands! .....and with a big heart!!
The calcium binding phosphorous issue is a long term depletion process that is worthy of our attention. I fed kale early on without the understanding?? Many do! Spinach and beet tops are more veggies I avoid.
Here is a discussion I find helps add perspective...... viewtopic.php?f=18&t=164238&p=1320712&hilit=kale+has+phosphorus#p1320712
Because Thor is on the mend, I wanted to help in case you were not aware. Kale in the short term has little adversity. Thor is lucky to have you!! Please update Thor's status in the future!
Bless,
Bill

jodavis10

Original Poster
This is Thor's before pic. He had good care at one point, because he is big and strong with no signs of mbd. The previous owner said that he fed him 5 doz crickets every other day, but I find that hard to believe. He had no heat bulb and no uvb bulb. I don't know for how long. The owner said that he didn't replace them when they burned out. He was on sand and in a 25 gallon tank.

This was him today.He's upgraded to a 40 gallon tank and has a heat bulb and he has been basking daily. His UVB still isn't here so we have been going outside everyday. He also gets a bath everyday, and he has been eating crickets, superworms and even had a horn worm. He won't touch the veggies.....I've offered Dandelion greens, collard greens, mustard greens and Kale. He ate little Kale the first day, but hasn't touched any since. I have been offering it by hand and leaving a bowl in with him every day. I'm thinking he's eating what he needs more right now, which is protein. I dust his feeders with vitamins or calcium depending on where he's at in the schedule. He's doing good...I'm excited about his colors.

Great job!!
Great pics!
Great story!
Thor is a lucky fella!
I am on PetMountain.com 's e-mailing list! They are by far my best "go to" source for anything pet related!! No taxes! Free Shipping over 75.00 everyday with many better shipping deals with lower minimums offered often! The are out of SanDiego! Their customer service is awesome! Their packaging is second to none! He uses FedEx,....the best shipper!! I am converting all my regular Reptisun T-8 fixtures and tube lights to High Output T-5! Bulbs and fixtures ranging in sizes from 24 to 48 inches repeatedly travel perfectly with FedEx from California to Chicago without any issues!......with unbelievable packaging methods enlisted!!! I find the lowest prices at PetMountain so I don't mind the 4-5 days free ground shipping. I now buy my three dogs equipment and upper end freeze dried protein training treats from Pet Mountain!! He just expanded his business more. Great company,...thought I'd add my experience and favor their way!
Bless,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom