Someone in NJ help him please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine the "owner" (and I say that lightly) is looking for a decent amount of money with this line "email me your best offer!" and it might be difficult to convince him the dragon needs a good, experienced home. Concerned with how much the spine is showing through :?

popsickle18

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I don't think he has been able to be helped yet :(

He might not even know that he has been harming his dragon. Pet stores give the worst information... For all we know he might think his dragon looks great!

Thistle

Got him! (actually her). The owner was actually a very nice 14 year old boy who had gotten tired of his pet. I think his mother realized that the dragon was getting thin and told him he had to give her up. The beardie was kept in a 10 gallon tank with a water dish. No baths. The boy had had her since he was 5 years old so our "Sonnet" must be 9! She was fed "vegetables and some crickets". The mother told me she would "grow" if I put her in a larger tank. You get the picture. She must have gotten some good care at some point because she doesn't have any really serious mbd issues.

I live in NY and was due to go on vacation in 2 weeks, so I was hoping someone in New Jersey would step up and get her. When I returned another month had passed and no one had gotten her. I took a day off work and made the 7 hour drive. (Yes my family knows I am nuts.) She was ice cold and just a pile of bones sticking up through her scales... only 83 grams. When I got her home I soaked her in Pedialyte water and dripped some on her nose. She was absolutely terrified of the bath and had no clue about the water on her face. She calmed down when I talked to her and for some inexplicable reason became completely trusting from that point on. She wanted to snuggle immediately after her bath and sat on my shoulder for 3 hours. When I put her in her cage she wouldn't let go and kept trying to crawl back up my arm. When she finally realized that I was giving her water she drank and drank until I got worried and made her stop. She passed no urates for the first 5 days so she only got fruit and vegetables. It took 2 days to get her to understand that anything other than romaine lettuce was FOOD. Once she did she ate like the starving dragon that she was. Slowly adding dubias, silkworms, hornworms and phoenix worms to her diet.

She is unbelievably affectionate. Had I known what she was like I would have dropped what I was doing and gotten her on the day I saw the posting. We call our two beardies (Sonnet the rescue), "gratitude" and "attitude" (Thistle, my other beardie is a spoiled, fat, brat but we love her anyway).

Sonnet went from 83grams to 197 grams in 1 week! And I was afraid she would just die.

popsickle18

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much Thistle for rescuing Sonnet! :D What an awesome story. Poor sweetheart in a 10 gallon! She must be a real trooper to have lasted this long! I am so happy that she is such a sweetheart and that she now has a wonderful owner like you taking care of her. I hope you are able to have some happy and healthy years with her.

This news made me day!!!! Thank you for letting me know she is safe and sound :blob8: Do you have any pictures of what she is looking like now?! I would love to see her happy little face :D

Take care and again, thank you so much!

Thistle

Thanks for alerting me to this sweet beardie! I was looking to do a rescue when I came across your post. She was just so far away. My daughter wanted to name her Sunny if male or Sonnet if female. Then I saw Wildheart's "How SA Petshops Kill Reptiles" on Youtube. That did it. I made the long trip and thank heavens it's a girl, because we just couldn't have named her Sunny after that video.

She looked so much better after we soaked the sand and old shed that was stuck to her.

You can't see her hips but they were sticking way out when I picked her up.

Getting a belly after 1 week

Soon she'll look like our spoiled rotten 5 month old, Thistle.

popsickle18

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh my goodness she is so beautiful! you did wonders with her!!!! Hehe I love her awesome belly :D Thistle looks so happy too! You must have a wonderful home for beardies. I am very grateful she found a home with you. I can't believe she is 9 years old!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom