Because I'm a sucker for special needs critters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dovakeet

So, I didn't get a before photo, because TBH, I didn't think this guy was going to make it. He had been surviving entirely on Flukers Reptiboost. I think he may have a shot now... and with the help of a couple of vets, he isn't going to go because of something I SHOULD have done but neglected to do so. I know that he's at LEAST 2 months old, and the photo is of him in a Medium Zoo Med ReptiRock Dish. He is going to lose the very tip of his tail, but the vet said the soaking would help - eating is more important to focus on, or else he'll be losing more than the very tip of his tail.

He still isn't eating anything alive, but we have been syringe feeding Science Diet A/D, a slurry of ground up roaches/phoenix worms/greens, some greens that require chewing (when he has his mouth open, I throw 'em in), and we tried a pellet just now (semi-sucessfully). He has been getting in and out of this dish on his own, basking, and most importantly pooping. I get excited about solid poop for all of my critters. :lol:

My husband and I really didn't want a beardie, but because we can't see anything suffer - we got this guy. To tell the truth, we were going to see if we could rehome him once he got better, but I think he may have found his forever home.

Annalee

Juvie Member
They have a way of really snuggling their way into your hearts. I hope at the very least, you take joy in the time you have him. Keep the joy yourself or to pass him on to another person who will take joy in him, is your call and I think you are wonderful for taking him in regardless. He's a cutie.

I rescue often too. It's very addicting. <3 Best of luck with your beardie.

Gail

BD.org Addict
He very cute and in better shape then I had expected. Good luck on rehoming, good chance you will change your mind after a few weeks:)

Dovakeet

Original Poster
Oh, I think my husband already changed his mind. It seems all critters that set foot in this house are pretty good at being too cute - holding on to your finger, giving the "aren't I cute?" look... That's how we got the birds and the tortoise. The cat was the only "planned" baby. :lol: (The cat is terrified by anything bigger than a fly, so it works).

How I figure, as long as we can afford the proper care (vet visits, proper food, time, etc.) we can keep all of them. No more animals, though!! We seem to have a happy balance right now, even with this little guy needing special care.

Dragonkate17

Hatchling Member
Glad you found him, he's so cute. Seems you've been taking good care of him I love it when a animal in need finds good people to care for it.

Dovakeet

Original Poster

He is finally eating solid phoenix worms, but I still have to toss 'em in this mouth... I have a tray that I put in his cage to let him *TRY* to catch his own worms, but he just closes his eyes when they get too close to him (or he runs away). :banghead: He hasn't really been into the syringe, though - but gets excited when he sees the bright red tongs.

The vet said he was in pretty good shape, but gave us some metronidazole to stimulate his appetite. His meds are done, so now we're feeding him some probiotics. His appetite has increased by quite a bit, and I've noticed he is quite jumpy... and able to hold on tightly to my finger when he doesn't want to be put down. He was hanging upside down on one of his plants to see the TV a little better this afternoon. :mrgreen:

In the pic he has some stress marks going on. His water dish is now partly under his heat lamp (to get his humidity up to a whopping 20%... we live in a desert). He gets toasty, opens up his mouth for a while, jumps in to soak until he gets cold, does a flying leap to get out, runs around like a nut to dry off, then goes back under the heat lamp.

Dovakeet

Original Poster
So... our little guy is finally eating Phoenix worms and greens on his own. Mustard greens are his favorite, but turnip, collards, and dandelion are acceptable. :lol: Fruit is right out, and pellets are for pooping on...

He's about 9 inches now, a good 3 1/4 inches bigger than when we got him in June. He's shedding right now, but he still manages to chow down quite a few worms in a short period of time. He also nipped my finger while grabbing a piece of mustard green out of my hand. I wasn't fast enough!

Yes!! No more hand feeding!! :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom