The story of Saya, a very neglected beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months ago I got a message from a friend asking if I could take one of two bearded dragons that someone was surrendering to her. Initially, I was going to say no as I already had three in my care but when I learned of the conditions I couldn't refuse.

Saya (originally 'Stumpy') was being kept in a 10 gallon aquarium with another adult bearded dragon with bird seed as a substrate, no UVB, and a single red bulb as a heat source.

I quickly prepped a hospital tank for her (no furniture aside from a low basking spot, paper towel substrate, and used a 20 gallon long) and drove over to pick her up from my friend. As soon as I held her I instantly worried she wouldn't make it the night. She was skinny, exhausted, dark, and showing obvious signs of an advanced RI. I wrapped her up in a travel container with a towel and a heat pack and zoomed home to let her get settled.

saya3513.jpg

Saya's first night

Woke up the next morning relieved to see her basking. Much to my surprise she devoured the salad I hand fed her and later that day we went to the vet. My suspicions were confirmed and she indeed had a RI as well as a small pocket of fungus on the tip of her nose. I went home with a lot of medications and a treatment plan.

The following days were filled with baths (to help hydrate her as well as assisting in passing the bird seed that filled her stomach), medications, and snuggles. Little by little she improved and her colors started to brighten immensely.

saya3913.jpg

Saya post soaking

Months later, Saya is still with the rescue as we continue to battle her RI (on the second round of injections now) but she continues to gobble up food and show us she still has quite an attitude despite her years of neglect.

Momswims1

Juvie Member
You know, they say that what you do for those who can do nothing for you really speaks the most for your character. I would say you are certainly a hero to that little beardie. What a sweet little face. Thank you.

TheGeckoSanctuary

Original Poster
vtintraining":x1xbn35m said:
That's amazing. I am glad this girl is in your care now. Where are you guys located?

We're based in Massachusetts but are trying to build a small foster network throughout New England.

TheGeckoSanctuary

Original Poster
Momswims1":38sku6qy said:
You know, they say that what you do for those who can do nothing for you really speaks the most for your character. I would say you are certainly a hero to that little beardie. What a sweet little face. Thank you.

Thank you; means a lot to me :)

TheGeckoSanctuary

Original Poster
Despite a second round of antibiotics, Saya is still displaying signs of a RI though they are not as pronounced as they were before but she continues to gap when she's not basking and has excess mucus in her mouth. We will be consulting the vet soon as to our next course of action.

Regardless of this setback, Saya does seem to be enjoying life at The Gecko Sanctuary. Since the weather has finally warmed up she has been taking her baths outside and enjoying exploring the back yard (always with me nearby of course).

saya6913.jpg

saya6913II.jpg

It is a bit tough to see in these pictures but Saya had a significant stunt in her growth due to the improper care she suffered but trust me she has plenty of attitude for being a "little lady" :lol:

popsickle18

Juvie Member
Thank you for taking such good care of her. She deserves a good home.

Her head shape is so neat! She looks like a little dinosaur in that last photo :D

TheGeckoSanctuary

Original Poster
popsickle18":1i364m9b said:
Thank you for taking such good care of her. She deserves a good home.

Her head shape is so neat! She looks like a little dinosaur in that last photo :D

She does have quite the face! My boyfriend fell in love with her immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom