Fred no more - Jacques forevermore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
So, in August, this vicious little scrap of bones, teeth and attitude turned up in an old Xbox box.

IMAG2130.jpg
IMAG2131.jpg
IMAG2129.jpg

I was told he is about two years old, and was called "Fred". I could tell he was about half his ideal weight, badly starved and had serious personality problems. I promptly found out he was riddled with parasites and had only ever eaten crickets - most of which clearly escaped out of the massive hole in the back of his old vivarium.

For the Love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster - what had I got myself into this time? I had enough to deal with - a new house, all the renovation works, moving, upgraded job, a big charity stunt upcoming and five current dragons... Did I need a dragon in this shape?

No.

But I wasn't going to turn the poor pile of rags away. He needed my help. And I swore he'd never hear the name "Fred" again.

IMAG2142-1.jpg
IMAG2141-1.jpg

Luckily, I've got plenty of experience with dragons acting out, and dragons with various health problems - but this one had all of them thrown in together - and my main problem was he was totally unhandleable and a truly vicious, determined biter. He bit right through a bamboo stick when I was sliding him out of range so I could clean up the poop in his (filthy) tank.

I needed Kevlar and Goretex gloves just to get hold of him, never mind get medicine through him. Frankly, I didn't think he'd survive. I bunged on 24 hour heating, proper UV lighting for the first time in his life - and introduced him to a terrifying concept: the bath. (And towels.)

IMAG2187-1.jpg
IMAG2151.jpg

As I suspected, his poor belly rebelled against the good quality food I had to offer, causing him to vomit everywhere, so I quickly switched him to a very low protein diet - utilizing his "bite" reaction to get his belly full of nutritious Oxbow Small Herbivore mix with added calcium, Panacur for the parasites and then Avipro probiotic when the meds were finished.

Fresh greens were offered every day and, two weeks later, I slowly introduced a small amount of proper proteins in his diet with small locusts. His diet range has developed perfectly, and he now eats everything alongside the other dragons.

He particularly loves NatureZone Beardie Bites, blueberries and canned dragonfly larvae! This photo is just a month on:

IMAG2316.jpg
IMAG2319.jpg

It was around this time that his attitude problem started winding back - he began to realise that Rich and I weren't going to hurt him (though even to this day, he still flinches if you move too quickly towards him. He's definitely been hit at some point, poor chap).

I swore he'd never hear the name "Fred" again - I didn't want him to associate his new life with his old one. He wasn't going to be that dragon any more. And indeed, he is utterly unrecognisable from his early days.

Jacques In Parentheses von Cleef. von Cleef for his Raspberry-Face scowl. "I advise you not to make any sudden movements, my squishy little nemesis."

IMAG2394-1.jpg

Nine months on, he has turned out to be one of the most intelligent dragons I've had the privilege of caring for, cheeky and sweet and curious and getting EVERYWHERE.
2012+-+1
2013+-+1
2013+-+1
IMAG2468-1.jpg

In fact, he's not afraid of anything. Even Tsam, who is literally three times his size. But that's okay - Jac's got his Orb of Invincibility! He's completely at home in that thing, giving Tsam something to really think about. SQUISH! HAHAHAHAHAHAAARRR!

2013+-+1
2013+-+2
2013+-+3

Not to mention a corking colour under all that dirt!

2013+-+1

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you kindly :)
I'll pass on your regards - I'm really proud of the little dude. He's done much better than I expected and I'm impressed he's still with us. :)

Momswims1

Juvie Member
Sounds like all your patience and hard work really paid off. That is so great. And that he is trusting you now. Awesome.
Beautiful little dragon.
Kudos to you.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you guys!
He's a really funny little devil - currently he's giving grief because Sandy has free run of the lounge. He thinks my little hermaphrodite is something amazing. Though is confused when "she" bobs at him.

He does occasionally forget that he is tame, especially when in Spring Frenzy, but he's nowhere near as bad as he was. We've not so much as had a proper bite, though there have been threats! :D

lexus465

Juvie Member
Great story!

I have a question about his "orb of invincibility". Does he love it? I was thinking about getting one for my guy as I have two cats and a dog and lots of little hiding places, so he doesn't get to roam much at all. Did it take him a while to get used to it? Not going to lie, I am a little bit excited about this... :mrgreen:

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
He genuinely does - he took to it like a duck to water!
It's not ideal for every dragon, but a smartie with the right body size will catch on quickly.

He loves to deliberately run over other dragons, and has worked out how to get round obstacles. :)

Blinksmama

Juvie Member
What a beautiful little guy! He's so lucky to have awesome owners :)
That hamster ball is a great idea. For those who have bigger dragons, they make the balls for larger animals too, like chinchillas. I have 2 hamster balls, so I'm going to sanitize one and use it for Blink. I hope he loves it, because my home is not beardie proof-able, too many people and animals in a too small house :lol: , and he loves exploring!

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hamster balls are a bit on the small side - I purchased a ferret ball, because it's much bigger :D

He's just lucky I heard about his situation, poor sod.

Blinksmama

Juvie Member
Do you find the ferret size good, or would a bigger one be more comfy?
How is Jacques doing? Any recent pics of the handsome fella?

Amy

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Wow, the change is amazing! I can't believe some people do this to living things! :angry5:

Thank you for rescuing him! I'm sure he'll have a great life, filled with love! :D

littlegoron

Hatchling Member
Would love an update sometime soon :)
he looks amazing, i actually lol'd at his raspberry pic. he's gained so much weight and looks well cared for. im happy you got through to him

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Jac was much too busy for taking decent photos.
2013+-+1

Spring fever has hit him hard, especially as it's the first time in his entire life he's ever had "Spring".
2013+-+2

He's shedding at a rate of knots and is occasionally forgetting humans are okay. He hasn't actually bitten anyone this time, so that's a definite improvement. He makes pecky little darts, but backs off. :)
2013+-+3

We do need to work on getting his weight up again - he has had a big growth spurt and has been too excited to eat properly, so he's a little skinny.
2013+-+4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom